Author Topic: Testosterone replacement after surgery  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Blake0693

• Posting Member
I developed gynecomastia when I was a teenager that never went away. I am now 31 years old a went to the doctor will several complaints that made him check my testosterone. Apparently it's pretty low for my age. I am about to go discuss options for treatment. Unfortunetly this last year I had my gynecomastia corrected with surgery. Now I'm scared that with testosterone treatment it could come back. Is it very likely that since I had a gynecomastia issue during puberty that it will re-occur with treatment? I really want my energy back and to feel normal, but nothing makes you feel worse that man boobs. I don't know what to do or think.

Offline Blake0693

• Posting Member

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Testosterone (or any other hormone)replacement should always be carefully and frequently monitored by an endocrinologist.  Yes, it is true that sometimes testosterone replacement can result in aromatization to estrogen, which in turn could stimulate some breast growth.  But this could be determined by the endocrinologist following estrogen levels as well.  And if there is an uptick in estrogen, he can probably prescribe an estrogen blocker for you.

In the proper hands of an endocrinologist, your gyne should not return.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Blake0693

• Posting Member

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As Dr. Jacobs has pointed out, proper management of testosterone replacement should not cause gynecomastia.  On the other hand, low testosterone levels might contribute to recurrence of your gynecomastia, especially in the face of high estrogen levels.  If your levels are low at age 31, you should have a complete evaluation done and have treatment instituted--to help avoid recurrence!

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery