Author Topic: Nipple leak  (Read 20163 times)

Offline spec120

I read a topic earlier about nipple discharge earlier, but I wanted to ask the question tailored to my case.

I am a 28 year old male who has taken finasteride for hair loss for a while now (year or two). I noticed some puffy nipple left more in particular, but the right can puff up too. Well a day or so ago I 'squeezed' or pull down on the nipple and noticed some clear non-sticky almost sweat looking like material come out of my nipple. My left mostly is affected, but the right I could get a little out of as well. I know that sounds sort of funny, but after searching the internet I am now alarmed because nipple discharge in a male could mean breast cancer.

Is this normal? I've had my hormone levels checked and I think the Propecia raised my E2 or estradiol about three times the upper normal limit (154 PG/) so I was put on a 1 mg a day dose of arimidex. I've been on it about 12 days now and I notice water retention coming off of me. My legs are becoming more defined, my arms are showing veins I've never seen before and I've lost a good 3-4 lbs of just what seems like water. Overall I guess my concern is the clear sweat like liquid coming out. I will ask my endo in a couple months when I return to check my levels, but I wanted to check with these wonderful doctors to see if they had a opinion on the matter. Thank you all. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you have a clear watery discharge, it is not worrisome.  Men tend to forget that a breast (on a male or a female) is a gland -- it can produce some fluid.  Would not, however, go around every day trying to elicit more discharge.

Propecia is known to produce gynecomastia as a rare side effect of the medication.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Some patients will develop nipple discharge during the active phase of development of gynecomastia, and this may be clear or it's sometimes tan or yellowish.  I have also had patients describe discharge in the more chronic phase of gynecomastia, which seems more frequently to result from more aggressive squeezing of the nipple.  As Dr. jacobs has pointed out, that's not necessarily something you want to continue doing.  I agree, however, that it is not likely to be worrisome. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline spec120

Thanks to both of you who replied. It's reassuring to hear especially when all you read over the internet on male nipple leak is sinister in nature; ie male breast cancer. When is it usually worth considering something sinister in the case of clear non-sticky nipple discharge?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Male breast cancer is not common, whereas gynecomastia is fairly common.  First off, bilateral involvement is more consistent with gynecomastia.  There are a number of signs that may be suggestive of breast cancer rather than gynecomastia:

a lump felt in the breast
nipple pain
an inverted nipple
nipple discharge (clear or bloody)
sores on the nipple and areola
enlarged lymph nodes under the arm

You should see a surgeon if any of these qualities are present.

RS

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Bloody discharge is characteristic of a potential malignancy clear discharge is typical for benign issues.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline spec120

Once more thank you for taking the time to provide critical feedback to my question. It has helped myself and I am sure it will help others who may be facing a similar experience. Hats of to you docs.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024