Author Topic: What does it mean when Gyno lump and pain fade but sill puffy nipples?  (Read 2252 times)

Offline HellandBack

• Bronze Member
Hey Docs, just curious if theres multiple answers for my question?

I have heard it means the gland is turning into a different tissue, or that the gland is gone but fatty tissue remains.

Just wondering why some people getting treated by doctors by prescription meds get the gland reduced but still remain unhappy with puffy nipples?

I assume at that point the growing gland has ceased and now surgery is the alternative? I know there is probably a number of scenarios but please shed some light as i am confused  ???

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Many members of the forum post questions and comments about medical therapy for established gynecomastia.  Most of the surgeons who post here agree that established gynecomastia, which has been present for several years during puberty, or which arises from medication or steroid use later in life, will not resolve completely with medical therapy.  There are newer studies with newer drugs, which show improvement, but at least one of the studies with which I'm familiar indicate a large percentage of patients who were "successfully treated" still undergo surgery.  I think there's a divergence of opinion over what is adequate treatment, and most of us surgeons do not feel that the condition is resolved with medical treatment alone. Apparently, many "successfully treated" patients agree.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery