Author Topic: Another update - Better results, still a little asymmetry  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Zack

• Posting Member
I'm exactly 2 month post op now.

I had lipo + gland removal.

My right side is totally flat, except for a big, huge raised scar where the doctor cut under the areola.

My left side however, is still very puffy, and I can grab a big lump in the upper part of the nipple, yet the place where the doctor made the incision is perfectly flat, unlike my right side.

Is there any chance that my left side is just scar tissue ? Is it normal to be able to grab a lump under your areola on one side only 2 months after the surgery ?

I will upload pictures in a week, but it's actually hard to take good pictures of the problem, since it looks quite good when it's cold. There is, however, another topic on the same subject in the post surgery section of this forum. There is pictures and it's on the front page.

Thank you very much. I cannot stress enough how this is a big deal for me.

Edit : I should also add that when I massage my left nipples, it automatically take a normal, flat form. It then takes about 5 minutes for it to come puffy again. I can basically ''fake'' a flat nipple by just massaging it for like 4 seconds every 4 or 5 minutes. So could it be residual swelling ?  

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:13:33 AM by Zack »

Offline Zack

• Posting Member

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It's a little difficult to comment on something that you mostly feel, but at this point in time, what you're feeling may still be related to swelling.  It's common to feel the sub-areolar remnant, and that can persist beyond 2 months. The photo isn't great, but it looks like you may have a hypertrophic scar on the right side. You should speak with your surgeon about this, and consider options for treatment.  I like to use silicone gel products for management of hypertrophic scars initially. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
You look pretty good to me.I would not presently be overly concerned by the way things feel when you "grab" the skin. There are a number of reasons which might enable you to feel something. If things look good you need to give the recovery time,stay active let the healing take its course. You might try some local massage to quicken the pace of recovery.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Many of my post op patients mention that they can feel "something" under their areola.  They may look fabulous, but they constantly feel their nipples and are concerned about some firmness.

My answer:  there is always some scar tissue present after surgery -- and most of it, unfortunately, develops directly under the areola. What counts is the smooth, flat, contoured appearance of the chest.  I always remind my patients that surgery is not performed so that another person can check out your chest by feeling your nipples.  You don't take a walk on the beach and ask people to feel your nipples for firmness, do you?

Bottom line is that surgery always results in some amount of scar tissue -- that is Mother Nature.  What counts for successful surgery is whether you have smooth, symmetric, taut chest contours.  Don't worry about the "feel" test.

If you have thickened scars, however, that may require intervention by your surgeon.  Best to return to him and ask his opinion.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Zack

• Posting Member
Thanks to all of you ! This is very reassuring !

I started massaging more frequently and wearing my compression garment more often.

I do believe my left side deflated a bit. It's still puffy, but not as much.

When I'm massaging, i'm feeling a straight, 1 cm large line right under the nipple, so I guess this must be scar tissue, and since my right side as obvious important scar tissue, I'm just gonna have to wait, and if it did not improved by the 4 months mark, i'm gonna go see my plastic surgeon again.

Also, is it a good sign if I still feel (rarely tho) itchiness inside the nipples ? Could this be a sign that my body is still healing ?

Thank you all again!

Offline Zack

• Posting Member
Update :

This morning I looked myself up in the mirror, only to see that, oh horror, my left nipple was this morning just as puffy as it was 1 month ago. So basically, I taught I had made progress, but nope, it looked just the same as it did 1 month ago this morning,

I think I should really focus on what kind of strange puffyness this is :

The nipple ( only the areola ) section is puffy, not THAT much, but visibly puffy, but the worst is really around the areola, it looks like the contour of the nipple is puffy, like if there was a mount on which the nipple sits. Strangely, just applying minor pressure on it make it dissipate almost immediately.

Strange and sad really. 

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
It's still early enough that waxing and waning of swelling as you describe is not unusual.  You should give the healing process more time, continue to massage, and follow up with your surgeon.

RS

Offline Zack

• Posting Member
Update : I just passed the first week with no compression garment, and my left nipple looks just as bad as pre-op.

It really looks like is a contour problem, like if the nipple didn't ''fit'' with the rest of the pectoral muscle.

Is it really possible that scar tissue could  raise my nipple that much ? I'm starting to think I really wasted a ton of money on this operation.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
Scar tissue can account for significant asymmetry.  See your surgeon.  You might benefit from a Kenalog injection or perhaps just more time.  No rush to revision surgery.

RS

Offline Zack

• Posting Member
UPDATE : Had my revision ! I'm now 2 days post op.

I see no difference as for now. If something, it looks worse than before. I can't feel any lump anymore, but the nipple looks just as ''fat'' and pointy as before.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors

Offline Zack

• Posting Member
Re-updated : now i'm approx. 3 weeks and a half after revision.

My left nipple is now MUCH more flat that it was before the revision. I'd say it's 2 times better, I could almost say i'm now satisfied with my chest.

The only thing left is now a slight ''puffyness'' in the center if the nipple, just  on the top of were the second scar was made. I cannot feel the lump I felt before revision, but I can now feel like little pellets of ''flesh'' or gland. I never felt this before.

What could it be, will this go away ? I'm pretty sure it still causing a slight puffyness of the nipple.

Thanks.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
The tissue will swell and may feel irregular...it's normal.  Give it time.

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024