Author Topic: Couple of Questions  (Read 2059 times)

Offline James22

• Posting Member
Hi - I'm in the UK and had surgery about 2 and a half weeks ago. Early days I know. My case was pretty severe and the surgeon told me I might need skin removal on my right side but also might be able to get away with it depending on how my skin tightens. I decided against skin removal as if there is a possibility of no scars then it seemed a lot more preferable. The right areola has massive creases at the moment, which I'm hoping will resolve with time. The other side looks quite good. Therefore I have the following questions:

1) On my right side at the bottom of the areola the scab has peeled off (at night due to skin rubbing against the vest). This has left a bright pink patch. I am not Caucasian therefore is very noticeable. This happened about two weeks post surgery and since I have just been applying lots of cocoa butter twice a day. Is this like any other abrasion and will it resolve with time? Will the colour return?

2) The last thing I want to do after surgery is put on weight. Before the surgery I used to cycle quite a bit but with the vest it's difficult. I have been told to wear the vest 24/7 for four weeks. Therefore want to go on a low carb and high protein diet. Specifically the medifast plan (www. medifast1.com/index.jsp). Will this negatively affect my recovery (healing)? Would anyone advise against it?

Thanks, in advance, for all the help

Offline James22

• Posting Member
Bump.... Would really appreciate your opinions. tks

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Regarding your first question, I'm not sure why you have a scab, unless your nipple was compromised in some way during the procedure.  If there is some superficial blistering or slight skin loss, this may heal fully and in time, it may re-pigment.  Time will tell. 

As for any special diets in the early post-operative period, I discourage dieting during the early post-operative period, other than well-balanced and prudent diets.  You can certainly watch and minimize carbs and fat, but be sure that you're getting adequate nutrition.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline James22

• Posting Member
Firstly thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate the advise.

On that particular side a lot of gland was removed and now that the skin has come off, all I can do is wait and see. I'm applying cocoa butter and collagen cream twice a day therefore will just see how it goes. I have a followup with my PS in a week from today so will ask him his thought then.

Regarding the diet - the diet very carefully takes you off carbohydrates. You basically only eat their food which is calorie controlled, carb controlled, low glycemic index & high in nutritional value. During the day I have one 'normal' meal of salad and lean meat. I'm now into week 5 of recovery and started the diet. So far I'm liking it. As far as nutrients go - the diet is pretty good. I did ask my PS after surgery and he recommended 4-6 weeks before I start anything and so have waited for four. I just wanted a second opinion on here.

Thanks again.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024