Author Topic: Bench Press?  (Read 3223 times)

Offline canadianmoobs123

• Bronze Member
When can you start bench pressing or start doing any other weight lifting exercises for the pectoral muscles after the surgery? My doctor said 4-5 months but I looked at Dr. Rick Silverman's getting back to training page on his website and he said only 6 weeks? Is my doctor just overreacting? (by the way, I had a moderate case, not severe).

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I have patients use lower weights towards the end of the first week. I treat a number of professional athletes and the idea of not weight lifting for a prolonged period of time is not a realistic option.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I usually allow my routine patients to return to the guy at approx 4 weeks after surgery.  That would also include working out with weights.  Obviously, you have to work up to your usual weights -- I advise to do so gradually.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As you've read, I allow patients to do cardio after a week, start weight training at 2 weeks, but no direct chest work for 4 weeks.  I haven't had any patients develop a post-operative problem  related to this activity in nearly 20 years of doing gynecomastia surgery, including a significant number of my patients who engage in bodybuilding and other athletic activities.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline canadianmoobs123

• Bronze Member
Will pectoral muscle hypertrophy cause any problems with skin contraction or healing?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Enlargement of the pecs does not usually affect skin contraction.  However, that is assuming that the surgery was done correctly so there is a layer of residual fat intervening between the skin and the muscle.  If there is no fat, then the undersurface of the skin can adhere and heal to the muscle.  Then, the skin does not move in that spot and may indeed result in a dimple or a pucker upon chest movement.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024