Author Topic: Paxil causing gynecomastia?  (Read 5282 times)

Offline unhappy123

• Posting Member
Hello,
As with most SSRIs, Paxil has 'gynecomastia' listed on the side effects. I'm in therapy and trying to get over my social anxiety. My doctor wants me to start taking Paxil 20mg to help with my chronic anxiety. To give you some background, I suffered from 'lipomastia' (despite being a normal BMI) and had liposuction only in July to fix my gynecomastia. My doctors told me I only had adipose tissue, no glad. My question is, do you think that Paxil would cause gynecomastia in me? I've researched Paxil and gynecomastia and couldn't find one story, instance, or study of someone developing gynecomastia as a result of taking Paxil. Obviously, it's possible that I could develop it because it's listed on the side effects, but I'm hoping they just added it just to save themselves incase of a lawsuit (so they don't end up like Propecia)... But what do you think are my chances? If I notice any growth, should I quit and quickly take some tamoxifen? Should I just forget about the Paxil? I was hoping my social anxiety would go away when my gynecomastia went away but it didn't. I just really want the anxiety to end  :-[ but don't want gynecomastia again. Any advice?
Thanks docs!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 10:08:55 AM by unhappy123 »

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
The listing of a side effect on a package insert for a drug only means that the side effect has occurred in someone who was taking that drug.  It may have been caused for some other reason, it may have happened one time.  I am not aware of Paxil as a common cause of gynecomastia, but you'd be better off asking someone who prescribes Paxil frequently, as he or she may have had a patient with this problem.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery