Author Topic: New Member With Gyne - Advice Please  (Read 1513 times)

Offline fguss01

• Bronze Member
Copy of posting on general discussion board....hoping for some medical input.

Hello,

Sorry to ask for help/advice on my first post but here goes.

Took Domperidone for 5 days a couple of months ago for gastric symptoms and within 2 weeks noticed significant female pattern weight gain (belly and hips) and the start of Gynecomastia. Age 51, 6'3" tall, 175lbs, slim build and physically fit, swim ~2miles/week.

Now 8 weeks after finishing the meds the Gyne is still developing. Not sure why this is as my levels are not so far out of whack?

Test is 14nmol/l (low normal) = 403 ng/dl
Prolactin is 223 mu/l (middle of normal)
Estradiol is 157 pmol/l (just above normal) = 42.8 ng/dl

Had difficulty convincing my endo that I had gyne, it is still fairly subtle but ultrasound today has confirmed galndular tissue below both nipples in excess of the norm for a male with excess adipose (fat) tissue surrounding it.

I am terrified that the longer this goes on the less chance I will have of getting rid of it and want to go to my next appt with a point of view on meds.

From my research I think that the two best options are likely to be either a SERM (Nolvadex/Tamoxifen) or an AI (Anastrazole/Arimidex)to address estrogen execess.

Anyone have any experiences/views as to whether these meds will help?

No-one seems to have a clear point of view on whether or not the glandular tissue under the nipple will recede - depends on fibrosis but when this occurrs seems to be a mystery.

Any advice gratefully received, this site is a godsend - I cannot believe how badly this medically benign condition is impacting my life - I can think of nothing else right now :-(

Many thanks. 

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Based on your lab studies with elevated Estradiol, I would think you might benefit from something like Arimidex, but studies of medical treatment are neither abundant nor clear-cut with regard to the degree of improvement that can be obtained with medicine alone.  You should speak to an endocrinologist, who may have more experience with medical treatment.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline fguss01

• Bronze Member
Dr. Silverman,
Many thanks for the reply, I have another appt to see my endocrinologist next week and I am hopeful that I will make some progress then since he will have the final bloods back that he requested (LH and FSH in additional to total Test and Prolactin).

Do you have a point of view on the point at which "fibrosis" of the tissue occurrs since I believe this at the point at which the tissue becomes permanent?

Many thanks.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I'm not sure at what point that occurs.

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024