Author Topic: Pain 24/7 6 months post op  (Read 2200 times)

Offline INPN

I am hoping any of the Doctors read this post and provide an answer. I have read quite an amount of posts here, yet I do not seem to find anyone with a similar situation than mine. I had my surgery in June of this year (lipo/gland removal). I am 6 months post op and I am in constant pain. I cannot raise my arms above my head, or to the sides away from my body without lots of pain. When I try to raise my arms above my head, it feels like I am going to rip the the muscle apart. I even have pain standing still. The pain is on the serratus area and lower/outer chest areas. I have tried TENS, heat pads, ice, massage, ultrasound, Motrin, Vitaminc C, Vitamin B, Glucosamine, Bromelain, Arnica and nothing works. I cant even touch my right nipple without crazy pain. I cant even allow water from the shower to hit the right nipple. I feel tinlgling and needle sensation all over the body. The lower/outer area of my chest feels just like when the glands under the jaw are swollen. I am able to massage the area and stretch my arms momentarily but my chest constricts back again in a matter of seconds.

Cosmetically speaking, there is really not much to see other than a small scar under the right nipple and very minor, but darker scars under both armpits. I usually try to keep my shirt off as much as I can because my chest skin is ridiculously sensitive. I also have craters under both nipples. The craters show up anytime I move my arms in any direction other than standing still. I dont like that look but at this point my concern is for the the pain to go away. I even tried working out through the pain but I had to stop because it felt like I was doing more harm than good. I felt that perhaps the stretching involved in upper body movements would loosen up the area.

This is simply not normal to me, knowing how my body recuperates. I am aware some people take up to a year to heal but I just dont want to take a risk for this condition to become permanent. I am not even able to hug anyone, much less sleep facing down like I have done all my life. I made an appointment with a Neurologist, but in the meantime I would like your opinion. I have to admit, my condition has gotten better in time. The first month and a half, I couldnt even take a shower by myself. I was unable to even touch my chest during the first 3 months. I just feel the process in my case has been unusually slow. Please advise!

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
It's hard to know what is causing your constant pain.  You describe a physical situation that sounds like you have very little subcutaneous fat, like maybe you have skin adherent to muscle. That would certainly cause crater appearance, distortion upon moving arms, etc.

What does your surgeon say about all of this? Are you keeping follow up appointments with your surgeon?

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline INPN

Dr. Pope, thank you for your quick response. I have consulted with the surgeon over the phone on a monthly basis but I feel I have gotten nowhere. I feel like he has contradicted himself a few times and that has given me a terrible vibe. For the first 4 months, he would constantly tell me that my problem is caused by scar tissue (keloids) and that I should use ultrasound to break it. Right after the surgery, he told me that I would be able to workout in a month. I called him 3 weeks post surgery and told him that I couldn't even take showers by myself, let alone hit the weights. I live in Fl and the surgeon is from NY, therefore he would ask for pictures. I would tell him that pictures would be a waste of time because I was not showing any physical signs of damage or any other "red flags" other than some faded bruises under the armpits and a small scar under the right nipple. However, I still sent him pictures. Over the course of my phone calls, he would then tell me that healing can take up to 2 years for some people. A month ago I called him to let him know I was still in pain and then he tells me that it has been 5 months and that I should already be pain free. At this point he suggests I go back to his office for a revision where he would cut the scar tissue combined with kenalog injections. Franqly, I dont want to get cut again. Not only do I not have the money to travel to NY to see him, but I also read that I would take a big risk if I get cut again, given that bigger scars may develop. BTW, this site does not mention names but from what I have read so far, I believe he is (banned). Respectfully, please advise!

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I don't know anything about the situation with the banned surgeon, but you should follow up with him. He has already operated on you and he's familiar with you and obviously knows exactly what he did.  Your revision surgery SHOULD cost little to nothing, and certainly the cost of a trip to New York would be less than the cost of revision surgery with another surgeon.

Best of luck-

Dr. Pope, MD 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024