Author Topic: Does Minoxidil (Rogaine) worsen gynecomastia?  (Read 11494 times)

Offline fiak

• Posting Member
Reposting this from the general forum:

Does using Minoxidil (trade name Rogaine in the United States) make gynecomastia worse, or cause it?

I have gynecomastia and have recently started balding. My doctor recommended Minoxidil 5% to be applied on the scalp twice a day. I am skeptical of using it, especially because it seems that even experts do not really know the mechanism by which Minoxidil helps hair loss.

Some websites mention gynecomastia as one of the side effects of Minoxidil, though further search online seems to suggest that it is rare.

It seems to be Finastride, another drug often recommended for baldness, which is much more frequently implicated in gynecomastia. I am certainly not using that one, after reading some disturbing reports online. I would rather have a bald head than enlarged breasts, sexual dysfunction, and other side effects of Finastride.

Does anyone have any experience of a link between Minoxidil and gynecomastia, either in their own case or that of others? Would you know how Minoxidil works?

This question has been asked before, but there weren't many replies. I hope there are some now.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
As far as I am aware, Minoxidil does not cause gynecomastia.

Propecia, also used for hair loss, has gynecomastia as a side effect - but not for everyone.  There are no tests to know who would develop gyne from Propecia.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I'm also unaware of any link between Minoxidil and gynecomastia. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery