Author Topic: Tamoxifen after 2:nd gyno-op to prevent regrow  (Read 2123 times)

Offline AlexN

Hi,

Im wondering if it would be a good idea to go on tamoxifen, vad my second gynoop on the same breast this monday, as the first time the whole gland wasnt removed due to astethics i guess (risk nipple falling in).
I have access to tamoxifen 20 mg and wonder if it would be a good idea to take it for awhile when healing up and a little further?

Due to the second op i had all my hormones checked, test a little low but in the zone for normal (due to the doctor and swedish medical standards). Everything else ok.

Have taken steroids in the past, but stopped 5 years ago and the gyno accured 1 for the first time at 1 1/2 year ago.

Kind regards A

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I would not recommend taking any medication unless there is evidence that it would be effective, so if your hormonal assessment did not indicate elevated estrogen, using Tamoxifen post-operatively would not be needed. You should be sure that estrogen (estradiol) levels were checked along with testosterone levels.  Patients are often told their numbers are normal, but a low-normal testosterone level in the face of mildly elevated estradiol could be a problem--in which case Tamoxifen or Arimidex would be recommended.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery