Author Topic: Next wave of gynecomastia in older men  (Read 5050 times)

Offline Cisco

• Bronze Member
I live in the New York City television market and they have saturated dinnertime TV with commercials for Androgel and Anxiron both testosterone replacement products.  The possible side effects noted at the end of the commercial for both products include among others "enlarged or painful breasts".  Can we expect an increase in our numbers from the men seeking to recharge their masculine vigor who find that they are also growing breasts. The interesting point is the delicate balance in hormone levels.  If a man's testosterone level drops the below the appropriate/acceptable range, the proportion with his estrogen level goes out of sync and gynecomastia may result.  If he attempts to remedy this situation with replacement testosterone and overshoots the designated range, the excess testosterone is converted to estrogen and he may develop gyno.  This all makes the statistic that over 60% of men experience gyno at some point in their life even more plausible.

hammer

We have been over run with the same ads here in Minnesota as well, and I have had the same thoughts!

We will have to pay attention for what is to come in the near future!

Bob

Offline Anon E Mouse

• Bronze Member
For me it's a no-win situation. One of my medical issues is my body not making nearly enough testosterone. The side-effects I deal with are hot flushes, insomnia, irritability, depression, weight gain, lack of energy, memory loss, cognitive decline, muscle loss, and gynecomastia. By replacing the testosterone I effectively manage most of those side-effects, but my body converts some of the testosterone to estrogen...and my breasts grow. There is no magic "sweet-spot" where the levels are "perfect" and no gynecomastia develops. Our hormone levels fluctuate not all that differently from a woman's. It's just that we're men and don't talk about that stuff...because we're men. No, we don't have menstrual cycles, but our hormones do fluctuate more than most of us know. Add the fact that everyone's body is different and you understand why the best the medical community can offer is a "range" our T-levels should fall into. Of course, there are individuals who are exceptions and their "normal" levels may be outside a typical range for their age group.

I knew nothing about Hypogonadism prior to my doctor testing my T-levels while investigating the cause of several symptoms I was having. Since I drive for my living the insomnia, irritability, depression, memory loss, cognitive decline, and lack of energy are quite serious. Moreover, the connection between Hypogonadism and Cardiac problems is well documented. Since I already have 2 cardiac stents, and just last year had an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm stented, replacing the lacking testosterone is a no-brainer. Besides, if this helps me stay alive and the biggest side-effect I have is that I grow breasts...bring-em-on!

Anon

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
We are much more aware now and we treat conditions that were left alone in the past.

Drugs used to manage prostate problems can be a problem too.

As these sorts of problems usually involve men who are more secure and no longer feel a need to prove their masculinity; It is simply a novel side effect of living longer.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Anon E Mouse

• Bronze Member
Testosterone isn't the only medication I take that may contribute to gynecomastia. Men with prostate cancer are sometimes placed on androgen ablation (chemical and sometimes physical castration) as a part of their treatment. Others (like myself), have cardiovascular issues requiring BP, and other medications who's side-effects may include gynecomastia. For some men it's a clear life/death question. For others it's a quality of life question. Either way, I've come to have a greater understanding of the often difficult trade-offs one sometimes makes in life.

I too have seen the commercials suggesting men can regain their youthful vigor by replacing their naturally declining testosterone. Plenty of body builders have used drugs for many years. These aren't the one's I'm talking about. There are those of us who use testosterone to fight some real and debilitating side-effects of hypogonadism. The original poster makes a valid point in suggesting that it's use for staving off the natural decline of the male body (ego driven), may produce a related increase in gynecomastia cases. I only wished to point out there are other medically necessary uses. I, for one, am thankful that such a treatment exists, as is anyone who has to deal with me. ;)

Anon

Offline TigerPaws

For men with an enlarged prostate, direct estrogen therapy is now an accepted treatment and while this has proven to be very effective. The down side is impotence, breast development and a host of other female attributes develop as your hormone system changes from male to female.

A great deal depends on your attitude and desire to seek out medical opinions which fit into your comfort level and lifestyle. For me the treatment has been 100% successful with the most noticeable exception of large firm 36C breasts. Some of the changes are acceptable such as softer skin, stopping hair loss and having to shave less often. While impotence is no longer of concern to me at my age it could be an issue for someone young enough to still desire children.

Then again prostate cancer can be a killer and the surgery is not without significant risks and complications not including incontinence and ED.

There is no free lunch, you make your choices and take your chances then live (hopefully) with the results.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:13:36 PM by TigerPaws »

hammer

Physical castration without taking hormone replacement has produced some of the side effects that TigerPaws wrote about in his post! When one considers health effects and alternatives growing old and being able to see your children grow up and see your grand kids born giving up sex, growing breast and other things really aren't that big of a deal. At least in my book!

As we get older we come to understand or see that sex is way over rated anyway!

I met my new primary care doctor at the VA last Tuesday.  She was please to hear that I was OK with not taking replacement hormones and living fine without them. It was also the first time I felt that the doctor was comfortable giving me a breast exam.

Bob

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
I've been on testosterone replacement since 2000.  It has helped many of my symptoms to a great extent.  At the nudist club the increase in larger breasts on middle aged and older men is very obvious.  The rate picked up a few years ago and there are more around than I have ever seen before.  The new wave is already here.  Just to be clear with the percentages being what they are, the annual incidence is 2-3 million new cases in the USA each year.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024