Author Topic: Follow-up weightlifting question for Dr. Silverman  (Read 1425 times)

Offline jlfmb

• Posting Member
A followup question for Dr. Silverman or anyone else who'd care to answer: Is it possible to return to exercise a full 4.5 weeks post op (with the surgeon's approval), take it easy,  and still develop a hematoma/seroma?

I resumed exercise today, and took it easy:
5x5 Powerclean @ 95 lbs (<50% 1RM)
5x5 Backsquat @ 135 lbs (<50% 1RM)
5x5 Flat Bench Press @ 95 lbs (50% 1RM)
My bodyweight is 165.

There was no pain whatsoever during the workout and the whole thing was easy. I didn't even really get much exercise. I stretched afterward.

After I got home I started feeling very mild pain on the right side (1 on the 10 scale). It comes and goes every twenty minutes or so, and is just above the nipple at the 11 o'clock position. It feels like it's just under the skin, but really I have no way of telling. It is not visibly swollen that I can tell, and I don't think it feels any more tender than the other side, although it is definitely more sensitive to pressure.

I have two hypotheses:
1. I stretched the pec on that side a little too much.
2. I jabbed the knuckle of my thumb there catching a powerclean, or while bench pressing.

Any reason to be concerned?

Offline jlfmb

• Posting Member
One additional tidbit: Three days ago I resumed my heavy doses of fish oil (about 6-8 capsules/day).

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It doesn't sound like anything significant has happened.  If you haven't been training for a while, you're going to have discomfort from that--just getting going again.  That's normal.  Also, as nerves wake up after surgery, tingles, pains, and so on are normal, often unrelated to any sort of specific activity.  Just keep an eye on it, and if you have concerns, see your surgeon.

RS
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline jlfmb

• Posting Member
Thanks! (I just realized 4.5 weeks is the longest I've taken off from exercise in over seven years...)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024