Author Topic: What is each incision for?  (Read 1589 times)

ad216608

I had surgery about 6 months ago, and the doctor thought he could take care of the problem without having to make the incision under the nipple. So, he just made those two small incisions beneath each pec. And it looked okay for a couple weeks, but then the puffiness returned, and it made me wonder if he only performed the liposuction part of the procedure, and not the excision of gynecomastia, or something like that.

I’m planning on asking him about this, but I was curious what other doctors thought about this. Are there different reasons for both types of incisions (under the pec vs. under the nipple)? Is one for lipo and one for removing the actual gynecomastia? I’m worried he might not admit that the reason the gyno “came back” is because he made a mistake in thinking he could take care of it by performing just lipo or something. I wouldn’t really be upset at this point, I just want to know why it really came back instead of never being sure.

Thanks for any insight

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Many surgeons use a remote incision for liposuction and a peri-areolar incision to remove gland. I place an incision near the armpit for my liposuction.  It sounds like your surgeon only did liposuction, unless he uses some sort of device (like a cartilage shaver) or special cannula to remove the gynecomastia remotely. I don't use this technique. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery