Author Topic: Need Help Regarding Alcohol Consumption Post Op...!?  (Read 2684 times)

Offline columbo8

I have my op next wednesday and im really looking forward to it!
Not nervous what so ever just cant wait to have it done now.

Anyway my question was, I am booked to go Benidorm on a stag doo for 3 nights, 5 weeks after my op.
Will i be ok to drink (alot, it is a stag doo!) over these 3 nights? im 24, fit and tend to heal quickly. Just really unsure as to how it could affect me even though it is 5 weeks later..?

Thanks all, would really appreciate some help!

Lee

Offline Jacobi

• Posting Member
I had my op yesterday, so it might seem excessively presumptuous for me to supply you with any advice related to being that far down the path of recovery, but from my understanding about the healing process for this surgery (provided all goes as well as it should) and of alcohol, I strongly doubt that it would be a problem. I'm sure the stitches will be out by that time, and as long as you aren't still experiencing any significant soreness or clotting, some drinking shouldn't hurt.

There might be some people who will attribute to alcohol a "testosterone depriving" effect, citing it as a possible cause for the gyno in the first place and might cause for gyno to potentially return, but reports of alcohol's long term effects on T are somewhat exaggerated. Here is a rather comprehensive article on the subject of alcohol consumption and its effects on hormones (from a strength/muscle building perspective, but thoroughly informative from a scientific one as well). Can't provide HTML, so just search "Leangains - the truth about alcohol, fat loss and muscle growth".

I include mention of the aforementioned article in case someone mentions alcohol's supposedly dramatic aromatising effects, which receives far more apprehension than it deserves, though chronically heavy drinking will certainly diminish your levels of T, which could foster an endocrinological environ in your body where gyno could POSSIBLY return. But even if the chances of that are remote, there are other reasons to avoid perpetual binging (as I'm sure you're aware).

I certainly look forward to having a drink or two in 2-3 weeks time, perhaps sooner.

I will disclaim this by saying that I'm not a doctor, and you should ask your own doctor about when to resume drinking (especially if there's going to be significant drinking involved).

hammer

I would have to agree with Jacobi, just do it in moderation!

On another note. Benidorm! Outstanding! That is a great place to go spend some time at and relax. I was on the first US Navy ship that ever stopped there for a "port of call" and went back two more times in the early 1980s! I really enjoyed diving around the rock that you need to take a boat out to off the coast, excellent for diving at 60-90 feet.

Good luck and have a great time!

Bob

Offline columbo8

Thank you both for your replies.

Thanks for the information and i will take it on board! Was slightly worried but after listening to you both and also having other people say i should be pretty much perfectly ok to drink by then i feel alot more relaxed!

Bob as for your trip to Benidorm you seem to have had some adventures in your time! Sounds great, I have been once before on a weeks holiday when i was only 15 and had a great time, i also went out on a boat to the rock!

Thanks Guys

Lee

Offline jay adams

• Gold Member
Thought I might throw out my two cents since I just experienced some drinking after surgery. Im 8 weeks out by the way.

Three weeks out I went on vacation. I drank some Heinekens (about four) every two days. That was no biggy.

At the end of the week I went and saw my childhood friend and drank like 50 beers in a two day period. Wow! I smoked three cigarettes and a
couple bowls.

When I got home I was a little more swollen. I prob put my healing back a couple days. After the alcohol was out of my system the swelling went down. I jogged with a sweat suit on also to clear out the toxic leftovers.

I drank like that again this weekend after a funeral and the same thing. It does make you look a little crappy. But, if you sweat it out and detox your liver so it's running good you should be fine. Drink lots of water when you party.

hammer

Bob as for your trip to Benidorm you seem to have had some adventures in your time! Sounds great, I have been once before on a weeks holiday when i was only 15 and had a great time, i also went out on a boat to the rock!

Thanks Guys

Lee

Lee,

As they say for the Navy, "it's not a job, it's an adventure", And it was! I met a family in Benidorn from England the first time I was there, then I ran into them in Barsalona one time (been there at lease 4-5 times) and then I saw them both times that I was in Benidorm again! It really can be a very small world some times!

My youngest daughter in in the Navy now, I just hope she can have as much fun as I did!

Good luck with everything!

Bob

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024