Author Topic: Tanning after surgery  (Read 7997 times)

Offline puffysucks

• Posting Member
Is there any way to accomplish this without making the scars more visible? I'm assuming sunblock wouldn't work well in a tanning bed, but is there something you can cover them with for the 5-10 minutes you're in the bed that would be effective?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I am adamantly opposed to tanning beds of any kind -- you are just begging for skin cancer in the future. If you want additional skin color, go for a spray tan -- it is much safer.

Further, any tanning on a fresh wound/scar will keep it redder for a longer period of time. 

If you must tan, put on a really high number sun block or cover the scars with zinc oxide or a bandaid.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I am not sure what the this in your question is.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline puffysucks

• Posting Member
Sorry, I should have clarified. By "this" I meant tanning. Is there any way to go tanning without making the scars more visible. I was looking for suggestions on what to cover the nipples with that will block 100% of the UV rays.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Dr. Jacobs has made the most important point about tanning, namely that it puts you at increased risk of skin cancer.  With regard to tanning after surgery, protecting the scars with zinc oxide for a 100% block can help to prevent the hyperpigmentation that might otherwise occur.  Because my patients wear compression for 4 weeks after surgery, the bruising is usually resolved by the time they might have sun exposure.  Nonetheless, I always emphasize that if a bruised area encounters tanning rays (sun or otherwise), the bruises may darken more than the surrounding skin, and this can be permanent or at least takes a long time to resolve.  Additionally, there may be resolving bruises that your eye can't see, but which can be affected by sun exposure.

So wear your sunscreen!

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Anything that will block the UV rays will be effective at reducing the effect of the various UV rays.The greater the blocking (reduction) the greater the effect.I have a different approach than my colleagues here, after 4 to 6 weeks I like my patients to get some exposure sun/UV for the areolar scars.I typically suggest 2 to 4 times, will be sufficient.The effect of sun /UV radiation on relatively fresh scars will be to cause hyper-pigmentation. The hyper-pigmentation results in a darker scar which for the areolar incision is great,it blends in with the areolar better.This is exactly the opposite of what I would recommend for a scar on the face for example.

Offline puffysucks

• Posting Member
Thanks for all the replies. I've went used a tanning bed twice already. I cut a bandaid to size and put it over the nipples, making sure none of the adhesive is on the nipple itself, I then put 3 pieces of cloth tape over the bandaid for extra protection for the UV rays. The scars haven't gotten any worse in the two times I have went. I'll take your advice into consideration, Dr. Pensler. Thanks again for the replies.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024