Author Topic: Do I have gyno [photos]  (Read 2346 times)

Offline numberwang

• Posting Member
I am pretty sure I have gyno and would like a medical opinion. MY chest has looked like this since around age 13. I'm now 20. Although my body fat is quite high and I've never been in great shape, I am confident this is true gynecomastia. I'd like a medical opinion on this. Also, if this is gyno, would continuing my program of lifting weights and running to lose fat help the aesthetic appearance of it?

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
The front view is a bit blurry.The partial side view which is also blurry shows gynecomastia. You look to be in good shape ,not much fat,so the problem is typically glandular in cases like yours.Weight lifting and diet will not solve the problem for you. I run and lift and I would encourage you to do so as well but the exercise will not improve the problem.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline numberwang

• Posting Member
The front view is a bit blurry.The partial side view which is also blurry shows gynecomastia. You look to be in good shape ,not much fat,so the problem is typically glandular in cases like yours.Weight lifting and diet will not solve the problem for you. I run and lift and I would encourage you to do so as well but the exercise will not improve the problem.

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it. Would you recommend going to see my doctor about it? I imagine my options are quite limited. I'm not sure if you can tell from the photos, but would maintaining a lower body fat percentage overall (I believe its around 18% currently) improve the aesthetic appearance, to the extent that it wouldn't be noticeable to someone not familiar with the condition? Because I would be satisfied with that, but don't want to run the risk of it looking worse because of lower body fat

Offline numberwang

• Posting Member
in other words, is there a way my gyno could become aesthetically less obvious without surgery?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If indeed you have had it for a number of years, it will not disappear spontaneously, even with diet and exercise (which sometimes makes it appear worse because the body has slimmed down while the breasts have hardly changed).

Only surgery can target the chest area and get rid of the excess tissue.  There is no other remedy.  If you wish to avoid surgery, then you can get some help by wearing a snug compression garment, which will give you a better contour when wearing shirts.  But understand, the underlying problem will persist.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024