Author Topic: incision only or lipo?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline jason_w

• Bronze Member
is there any cases where incision only will work good?

apparently the incision part is only covered by insurance here and being in college now i don't have that much money, but i'll probably be able to do payments with the doctor or get a loan if its needed

i haven't even went to my main doctor tthough, so referal will still take a while, but im curious

this is what it kinda looks like ( posted it in the other section before)

PS

by the way, i always wondered, how come under it started during puberty under my right nipple, and a year later went to my other and got worse, my question is, how come under my left theres a big gland or whatever , right under the nipple, and  on my other nipple directly under the nipple you can't feel anything, the gland is off to the side a bit, like a centimeter only, but its still a bit over to the side

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You appear to have very limited excess tissue beneath both areolas, one side larger than the other.  There are no explanations why one side would develop prior to the other, or why one side would be bigger than the other -- it is unknown.

As to treatment, you might be able to have just an incision around the edge of the areola.  But the surgeons should be aware that some loosening of the surrounding skin is needed so that the nipple can settle down on the chest.  Sometimes I do this with a lipo cannula -- but without suction turned on.

If you think insurance will cover it, you should inquire of your insurance company as to their specific requirements for gyne coverage.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As pointed out by Dr. Jacobs, the liposuction part of the procedure helps with chest contouring, even when very little fat is removed, and it's rare that I would only excise the tissue, even when there are discreet masses under the nipples.  That said, the insurance company doesn't care if I excise or use liposuction with excision, since the coding that we use is specific to removal of gynecomastia tissue, not to the technique of removal.  The difference is that your surgeon may be submitting the bill as a "breast biopsy," rather than removal of gynecomastia, and while this is a billing ploy that might allow for the occasional gynecomastia surgeon to get insurance coverage for the procedure, it's not a guarantee that the surgeon will get a complete result--it may look like you've had a breast biopsy and not a procedure aimed at an aesthetic result. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery