Author Topic: Ride home?  (Read 1980 times)

Offline calibrn

• Posting Member
Would I be able to have a hired driver pick me up after surgery and drive me home?
Or can the hospital or Dr. arrange for something like this?

Thanks.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
You need to contact the hospital where you're having surgery or ask your surgeon what is permitted.  My patients are not allowed to leave in a taxi alone, but they can arrange for a car service to take them home.  We've also had occasional luck with a "Chair Car" style patient transport service.  It's unlikely that the hospital would arrange for the transportation, and I'd imagine that your surgeon may have information about options, but doesn't do the arrangements for you. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline calibrn

• Posting Member
So your patients are allowed to leave in a car service alone? Is a chair car a service provided by the hospital?

Thanks.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
The chair cars are associated with local ambulance services.  I can't imagine that many hospitals offer any sort of service of this nature, unless they are very "customer oriented."  There's no way for them to recover such an expense.  Around Boston, there is a service called Hotel Recovery, which will arrange a ride and a nurse for a few hours, but I think the fee is $250 as opposed to $50 for a limo service.  As I said, you need to find out what your hospital allows.

RS

Offline calibrn

• Posting Member
Thanks!

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
We arrange for a bonded driver to take people home when a friend or family member is not available.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:31:10 AM by DrPensler »
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline calibrn

• Posting Member
Thats what I like to hear.
Thanks.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I tend to be more conservative. Gyne surgery is real surgery and the first few hours after surgery are critical. 

In my practice, I require patients to have either a friend or relative pick them up (they may still be a bit tipsy) and take them home or to a hotel.  If no one is available, then we can offer a nurse's aid (at minimal cost) to do the same thing.

I do not feel comfortable having a patient who is immediately post-op get into a car/taxi/limo with a driver who doesn't have an inkling of what was done or what to do in case of an emergency during the ride home.

On occasion, I have a patient try to pull a fast one on me -- telling me that they do have someone and then at the last minute that someone was unavailable.  In these rare circumstances, I require the patient sign a waiver.

I even had one patient have a nurse's aid pick him up and then paid her for one hour's work just outside my office and went home on his own.  He fooled no one but himself.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024