Author Topic: Anyway to Determine (+) or (-) Outcome?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Keep_It_Moving

• Silver Member
I have steroid induced gynecomastia. I mentally go back and forth with deciding if this is something I'd want to pursue (surgery in the future), is this normal?

I was wondering if there are any predictors as to how someone will take to the procedure? I'm still learning about this and any information is very helpful....

Thank you in advance for those who respond, members and/or doctors.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:41:22 PM by Keep_It_Moving »

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
There are a number of factors which influence the result including but not limited to: age,weight ,skin tone (elasticity),amount of tissue,tissue type (glandular vs fat),genetic propensity for scar formation,medications,smoking history,diet,exercise,BMI,general health and most importantly the expertise of the surgeon.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It's normal to be anxious about any surgical procedure, and in the case of bodybuilders with gynecomastia, so much attention is given to developing the desired physique, that it's understandable that there would be concern over a poor outcome from surgery.  Dr. Pensler has documented the range of factors that impact the results, noting that surgeon selection is critical. 

Depending on how serious a bodybuilder you are, and how severe your gynecomastia is, the decision to have surgery or not will become obvious, presuming that cost isn't the overriding factor.  If it's severe enough to cause significant disfigurement if not corrected, you will decide to have surgery.  If you can live with the appearance and it doesn't detract from your physique development goals, then you'll not have surgery.  No matter what--you'll be worried about the results.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery