Author Topic: Surgical incision next to the areola a good choice?  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Dlink

• Bronze Member
Hello.

For the most part, I usually see the liposuction incision either around the areola( to blend in between were it changes color) or around the side of the body some distance away.

I came across a doctor who seem to put the incision right next to the Areola which I have never seen before.

I was just wondering if that is a good idea considering that location is front and center when someone looks at you?

See the  attached before & after pictures for details.

Please let me know your thoughts on this incision point for liposuction.

Thanks.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dlink

• Bronze Member
Around the areola works for me.

Do you mean around the edge as to try to hide the scar for liposuction as well as gland removal?

In this particular case, the doctor seem to extend the incision to outside the areola( see enlarge picture) to the chest area.

Are you saying that your style is close to the same as this doctor or that you keep the incision around the edge of the areola?

If I were to venture a guess, I would say that perhaps this doctor is extending something which normally applies to female breast into the male gynecomastia procedure due to inexperience with gynecomastia? That is just my guess.

Would anyone like to venture a guess on why he would extend the incision to outside the areola like this? Seems unnecessary to me but I'm not in the medical field so I would like to get the opinion of people with more experience with gynecomastia.

Thanks. 

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Around the areola edge only. The goal is to make the incision as difficult as possible to see.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I also prefer the edge of the areola.  I'm not sure why your surgeon extending the incision laterally--You would have to ask him.  Even in patients with very large "glands," I am generally able to remove it through the peri-areolar incision, and I never make that incision more than about 1/3 of the way around the areola. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree with my colleagues.  A good surgeon can usually limit his peri-areolar incision and not extend it laterally -- even with a small areaola. 

Don't know the specifics of the case in question but sometimes a surgeon may have to extend an incision to provide better access to remove tissue or to control bleeding, etc.  In my experience, this circumstance is extra-ordinarily rare.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dlink

• Bronze Member
Agree with my colleagues.  A good surgeon can usually limit his peri-areolar incision and not extend it laterally -- even with a small areaola.  

Don't know the specifics of the case in question but sometimes a surgeon may have to extend an incision to provide better access to remove tissue or to control bleeding, etc.  In my experience, this circumstance is extra-ordinarily rare.

Dr Jacobs

I did question the doctor's office about why was there a extended laterally scar around the areola and I was told that this was a very early case and the doctor has since updated his method to avoid this and only make the incision around the edge of the areola.

I just wish they would have updated their before & after pictures to reflect this.  

Thank for the reply

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024