Author Topic: Swelling masking results?  (Read 1646 times)

Offline kensaimage

• Posting Member
Hey all, I've been reading the site for a few months now, but for some reason I could not create an account due to a glitch in registration. Seems to have finally resolved, so now I can actually post.

I had my surgery January 31st of this year. I am a little over a month post op, and I am dealing with what I believe to be swelling. I have a follow up appointment soon, but I am looking for some peace of mind. I will get my before pics when I go to my follow up, and I will post some I have now when I figure out the website a little better. But I do have some general questions that could hopefully be answered.

Is it normal for swelling to mask full results? They seemed to be much tighter when I was wearing the compression garment, but after I was told I could take it off, they seem to push out a bit more. Granted, they look WAY better then they did before. But it is a bit concerning. My girlfriend is an RN and has been helping me with my after care stuff. I asked her what she though, and she seems fairly certain that its NOT left over tissue and that what she feels is obvious swelling.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had swelling that seems to mimic, albeit to a much smaller degree, the gynecomastia you had before. She seems fairly certain it will flatten out greatly within more time. I guess I'm just looking for other experiences people may have had. The swelling seems to follow the entire under cut of the chest, and sorta protrudes there. However, when I do work out, I have seem them almost completely retract, even when I have my arms down. So I don't think he left any extra tissues.

My surgeon is very experienced and has assured me that removing any more tissue then he did would have been a mistake. And I did confront him prior to the surgery with a lot of the information I got on this site, such as excision vs just lipo, and etc. He told me after the surgery that I did not have a significant amount of gland and that it was mostly fatty tissue, and that removing anymore would have caused a deformity. So for now, I must trust him.

Can swelling cause a puffy nipple appearance? I know that some would say that its left over breast tissue, but that cannot be because when I flex in certain ways, the nipple seems to sorta "fold" inwards just the slightest bit. I have read about that cave in deformity, and it is VERY minor in my case. Such that it doesn't bother me at all. So then it must be swelling because that wouldn't happen if glandular tissue was still responsible, correct? Could swelling push the nipple far enough from the chest wall to create that effect?

Thanks for any input. For those who are wondering, my procedure was vaser lipo (and yes, I know that that isn't very popular, but it was suggested by my doctor that a direct excision in my case was NOT necessary). I have full sensation in my chest, no numbing, but it is a bit tender from time to time. Especially if I try to jog. The right side is noticeably a bit bigger, but I've been told that asymmetrical healing is not unusual

Offline kensaimage

• Posting Member
I should also add that I have a curved spine. Always have. Runs in the family. So even when I don't mean to be, I am always sort of "leaning" forward. My neck and shoulders are both pushed forward more than they should be naturally. I've noticed that when I force myself into an upright position, bring my shoulders back (where they really SHOULD be), and stick out my chest, there is noticeable improvement. Sort of like even how a flat stomach will scrunch if you lean forward, could swelling from gynecomastia surgery "stick out" if you were to lean forward, pushing out from your chest wall?

Offline WhenWillMyLifeBegin

• Posting Member
Having the same problem. I hope someone replies.

Offline kensaimage

• Posting Member
Interestingly, when I work out, they seem to "pull in" really tightly against my chest wall after my work out. Doesn't behave at all like it used to when it was fat/gland/whatever. Taking that as a good sign. Asked my RN girlfriend and she theorizes that maybe the muscles sort of "soak up" the swelling while I work out, and then release it when I am relaxed again. But she's not too sure, that was just her wild guess.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024