Author Topic: Crater Formations (Dr. Fielding) PLEASE HELP!!  (Read 2055 times)

Offline to_postop

• Posting Member
I have been doing some research into this, and I'm concerned about the possibility of crater formations on my areolas.
I had gynecomastia surgery with Dr. Fielding in Toronto on March 26th. I had 200 cc total of fat removed as well as what he described as a small gland piece from both sides.

From my understanding, everything went smoothly, I was very fortunate in the sense that my post-op recovery has been going well. No pain at all, and minimal swelling from what I can see?
I was instructed to wear the compression vest for 3 weeks total (no showering first week, to which I strictly adhered). I have a little over a week and a half of vest time left, but now I have a serious concern.

After the surgical tape finally came off today by itself in the shower, I noticed I have the so-called "crater" like formation on the left areola, something I have read about before on the forums, usually seems more common on the left side? I also have a slight crease on the right side but it is very small and feel like that one has a better chance of flattening out over time. I am less concerned about this side, though I'm worried neither side is going to look how I thought it would.
The one on the left however is pretty obvious, not severe, but easy to see the indentation. The skin directly above the areola droops slightly and causes the areola to almost want to fold over. That's what it looks like to me, should I post some pictures? At ease, its visible but there, and when I flex, it is extremely noticeable (something I have also read about around here in regards to flexing). I noticed these earlier but thought maybe the surgical tape on the wounds was what was causing it, but now I see that wasn't it.  :-[

I realize I am barely 2 weeks since the operation, but I am concerned about the possibility that this will not go away. From reading stories on the internet, it seems to me if you are unlucky enough to notice these right away, it generally means that's what you're going to be stuck with vs. something that is temporary, and that is terrifying for me. Revision surgery is not something in my budget, and moreover, this was supposed to be a one shot thing. I was not expecting this kind of side effect given that my case of gyno was not particularly bad. I have also spoken to someone who also had the same surgery with the same Dr Fielding, and he had no such formations at any stage of his healing, although his case was slightly worse. I have also been reading horror stories about people who were instructed to wait it out, and have had no improvement after 6 months.. even a year later.. and then revision surgeries and such. Something else I read reported a surgeon in the States who performed gynecomastia surgery, a good 40% of which were specifically revision surgeries. Not sure if there is any truth to that, but it's a mortifying prospect. I wear my vest extremely tight but it doesn't seem to have an effect so far. I did a lot of heavy research before I made my decision to go with this surgery but now I'm scared I made a mistake.

I'm not sure who will read this, but I really want to hear specifically input from other gents experiences with the same experience as me: post-op crater formations, and how it panned out for them. If it healed, how long before? What did you do to help it? And if it never improved. I want to get a better idea based on some numbers. I tried to massage the area today but both sides are still very sore, but only when I apply extreme pressure. Does that signify swelling? Should I apply any creams, persist with the massage despite the pain?
When this happens, is there a greater chance of this being a permanent thing or a temporary part of the healing?
I have not called my Dr. back but I can already predict his response in which he will probably tell me that I need to wait it out and it will be fine, though I have read one experience here with the same doctor where this was not what went down, and I'm very worried.

Any input is appreciated but I specifically want to hear stories from other gents this has happened to, even better if Fielding was the one who did the operation

Thanks..

Offline CareyPrice31

• Posting Member
Do not worry! I had the EXACT same crater as you're describing. When flexing, it made it worse. I also had folds, and wrinkles.

I had bad anxiety and thought the surgery was botched - I even blamed my surgeon.

After three months EVERYTHING fixed itself - do not worry! It's extremely hard to not focus on it and be patient, but trust me, it will solve itself. Dr. Fielding is very experienced and RARE (never) makes mistakes).

Offline srnd2012

• Silver Member
I also had cratering and it went away on its own. I'm 5 months post-op.  You need to be patient.  Good luck!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024