Author Topic: 6 days post op, what should I do??  (Read 2081 times)

Offline usernamehere

• Posting Member
Over the past two days I was having severe pain in my chest region which i considered normal as a part of recovery. However the pain is so intense that simply moving or walking has become a task now. Today morning when I removed my vest for showering I saw the reason for the pain. A lump/swelling over my sternum which is extremely painful. I have emailed my PS about this. However, would like some additional opinions over the same. Anybody??

Offline usernamehere

• Posting Member
Turned out to be some kind of fluid build up. Went to the doc, he took a look at it, pressed it from a variety of angles and then asked for a syringe. I knew what was going to follow  :( he told me to stay still and said you might feel a prick. He took the big a$$ syringe and stuck in the swelling and drained it. He did it about 3-4 times and then removed the needle and stuck it again in a nearby area and repeated. Meanwhile i was clenching my teeth so damn hard i thought i'd need a replacement by the end of it  ;D well once it finally got over, he gave me a prescription for a new antibiotic i guess for the next seven days. What i was wondering though is what exactly that fluid build up could have been, 'cuz it sure didn't look like blood(hematoma) nor did it look like clear fluid(seroma). Something between blood and strawberry milkshake. Any idea what is possibly going on ?? Possibly an infection ??  :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
What you are describing is sero-sanguinous fluid -- a mixture of serous fluid (usually yellow) with a few drops of blood.

Good thing that it was drained -- keep an eye out for re-accumulation (which is possible).

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline usernamehere

• Posting Member
Thank you so much for your reply Dr.Jacobs. Over the past two days the swelling has slightly increased and now I'm seeing some discharge from my right nipple whenever I take the compression vest off. The discharge is a yellowish pinkish fluid. What am I looking at here?? I'm really getting worried now :-[

Offline usernamehere

• Posting Member
Just got back from my PS' clinic. He opened up a couple of stitches and squeezed the same sero sanquinous fluid out of right nipple incision(quite a substantial amount) . Hurt like the hell. But I'd rather not get into that. He left it open for it to drain and covered it with a huge gauze dressing. Told me to come back in 2 days. My right chest hurt like crazy for an hour or so. But now it seems to be pain free. Dr.Jacobs could you please tell me what is going on here?? I'm freaking out.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Sounds like your surgeon did the right thing -- follow his advice and be patient.  This problem should pass..

Dr Jacobs

Offline usernamehere

• Posting Member
Thank you for your reply Dr.Jacobs. Will definitely try to be patient and get through this.

Offline usernamehere

• Posting Member
Dr.Jacobs I'm 24 days post op now. However, the incision that my surgeon had opened up for fluid removal on the right side hasn't closed yet. It still leaks small amounts of clear water like fluid which is slightly yellow. Hadn't leaked for the past few days but today it did. I don't seem to have any signs of infection, no redness, swelling, tenderness or fever. But this incision doesn't seem to be healing. Is it normal for it to take so much time and will it close on its own ?? Or should I be doing something about it?? ???

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It's actually good that any accumulating fluid has a way to "self drain."  As long as it is clear yellow, it is simply fluid which is not infected.  It should eventually stop by itself and then the wound would usually seal over.

Best to check with your surgeon about this.

Dr Jacobs

Offline usernamehere

• Posting Member
Thank you for your reply Dr.Jacobs. I spoke to my surgeon about it. He told me the same thing that it will heal soon as most of it has closed, there's a very minor gap remaining. In the meanwhile he asked me to apply sofradex cream twice daily on the incision. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024