Author Topic: Right-incision healing(or not healing) in a very weird way  (Read 2807 times)

Offline bob1234

• Posting Member
After having my OP just over 2 weeks ago, my left incision is almost gone completely, yet my right armpit incision looks a bit weird:

sorry for the ross image there...

It seems to show that a scar is mostly forming, but there is the persistent bulge of I don't know what, flesh?, poking through stubbornly still. It's kind of wet, but it's not blood that can be wiped away or that seems to scab.

I just can't see how this is going to heal. Is it just going to dry out into a "flap" of skin, is it going to drop off? Is an infection causing inflammation? What is going on with it?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
This appears to be a granuloma.  Best to see your surgeon.  Usually he will just trim it (no pain involved!) and cauterize any bleeding that might occur.  It should then heal promptly.

Nothing to worry about.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline bob1234

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply.

I have spoke to my surgeon, but he said in a few days it will all be healed, and not too worry basically. Hmm.

Not sure what to do, would it make a difference if I wait it out for a couple of weeks or should it be treated right away if it is a granuloma?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
This is benign -- no harm in waiting. Be aware, it may bleed at times because it is very fragile.

Dr Jacobs

Offline bob1234

• Posting Member
Is there chance of infection whilst it is like this?

I guess if it is still there in a week then I will have grounds to ask my surgeon to take a closer look.

I read up granuloma, and it seems quite plausible to me. Is there basically zero chance of this going without some surgical snipping? (I am not so bothered about the aesthetics of a skin tag, since this is under my armpit after all, I just want it to heal up)

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Minimal chance of spreading infection.  However, these things tend to remain and to prevent the skin edges from healing over.  Best treatment is to have the surgeon snip  off (no pain involved) the tissue and cauterize any bleeding.  It should then heal over within a few days.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024