Author Topic: Post concussion - anesthasia options  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Midlander10

Hi
I am scheduled for gynecomastia surgey next week to remove the gland and perhaps a small amount of lipo to tidy up but I am fairly lean so the doctor wont decide on that until he is operating.

I am 14 weeks post concussion but have been having ongoing symptoms such as headaches and exercise intolerance and have been reading about the risks of general anesthetic  when recovering from a concussion.

I have expressed these concerns with my surgeon who us happy to perform surgery under local anesthetic with sedation...My question is are there any risks with the sedation similar to the general which could affect my brain recovery?

I'm sure the local will be ok but want to be sure about the sedation as well as dont want to risk any setbacks in my concussion recovery.

Thanks

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Performing this surgery under local anesthesia with sedation is a very reasonable option if general anesthetic is to be avoided, however, I'm not sure if this completely eliminates any added risk related to your concussion.  This question might be better addressed by a neurologist or whoever has been managing your concussion.  If you were completely asymptomatic, there would likely be no concern, but in light of your symptoms, it is sensible to seek an opinion on that, and if necessary, delay what is obviously a completely elective procedure. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I think this is a question that should be answered by your neurologist who is taking care of your concussion.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024