Author Topic: 1 Week post surgery - Pain when lifting left arm vertically.  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Moustafa

Hey guys,
Its been exactly a week since my gyno surgery. I had very little swelling and all went well according to my Dr! I have a question; should I start stretching my chest now?
My right pec has no pain at all as I move my right arm vertically and stretch my chest while my left pec feels very tight and when I move my left arm vertically I feel pain (not terrible pain just pain that feels like Im stretching out the muscle hard).
If it matters, my right pec is not bruised while my left pec has slight bruises. My Dr told me I should keep stretching it? I feel its kind of too early and I dont want to permanently damage my muscle and prolonge my recovery as I am dying to get back to the gym.
If it matters I am 185 cm and about 190 lbs and about 13% BF.  I am lean and I dont think its an issue with the skin. Its just my left pec feels really tight. Should I wait with the stretching?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Pain is the way your body communicates with you -- if it hurts so soon after surgery, then don't do it.

Many of my patients want to get back to the gym very quickly after surgery but I would advise not to be impatient.  Allow your body to heal.  Too early a return can cause some bleeding, which could ruin your result.  

In my practice, I don't want my patients to exercise for four weeks after surgery but I know Dr. Silverman and others may allow earlier return to the gym.

Speak to your surgeon -- he is responsible for your care and ultimate results.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
You should follow your surgeon's instructions. 
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As per Drs. Jacobs and Schuster, you should follow your surgeons instructions, including stretching and exercise.  With regard to tightness and discomfort, I caution my patients regarding excise, as I do allow them to resume resistance training at 2 weeks post-op.  I tell them, however, to avoid overhead maneuvers for the first week of lifting, and then add it in as it becomes more comfortable in the subsequent weeks.  In the early post-operative period, my rule is to avoid painful activities. Although stretching can feel tight, it shouldn't be painful as such, and patients can back off until the pain is less.
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Hello Moustafa, 
How are you doing now that you are a little farther out post-op?
Dr. C 
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024