Author Topic: Dark nipple 8 month post op?  (Read 2047 times)

Offline linoo

• Posting Member
I had an unilateral surgery by areola excision 8 month ago and since then my nipple became darker than the healthy one, is that permanent or its color will come back? I also had a internal scar in the site where incision was made... here are some pics
I feel i look bizarre  :'(

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
IT is difficult to offer an opinion without having seen your original (pre-op) photos.  In general, however, when gyne surgery is done, the skin will tighten and the nipples will tighten as well.  The areolar diameter will diminish and the nipple pigmentation becomes darker.  If that is your case, then most likely the change in pigmentation is permanent.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline linoo

• Posting Member
Thanks for the answer, actually before the surgery my right nipple was exactly as my left one, and i had a just a mild case for like a month due to use of anabolics, i think it may be because of the inflamation i had iron pigments deposits in my skin, did you have any case like this before?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If both nipples were the same color pre-op but one side was larger (and was operated upon), then the nipple may decrease in size and become slightly darker.  If indeed this is the scenario, then more than likely the results are permanent.  I doubt if it has anything to do with iron pigmentation.

I have never had a case similar to yours because true one-sided gynecomastia is rare.  Most of the time, one side may be larger than the other but both sides need treatment and hence both nipples may become slightly smaller and darker.

Hope this helps.

Dr Jacobs
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 11:00:42 AM by Dr. Elliot Jacobs »

Offline linoo

• Posting Member
They were perfect until a i had a few cycles of testosteron and nandrolone, then one day a small hard painful lump appeared under my right nipple and started becoming bigger,for a month until it reached the size of an olive, and thats when i had the surgery. My left nipple is perfect and i has not gyno at all and I dont think unilateral gyno is rare since ive seen and read about a lot of similar cases, but i never read about a dark coloration of the nipple staying for so long, and it weird because its even more darker in the site where the incision was made. However i really apreciate your answers doctor

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Were the nipple and areola excised and grafted or was an incision made under the areola?
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline linoo

• Posting Member
It was a typical incision under the areola, really weird because the whole nipple became hyperpigmented in day one, and its keeping like that 8 months later... its darker in the area where the incision was made

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
What you are describing is totally expected.

When gyne surgery is performed, the skin shrinks and tightens spontaneously.  So, too, does the areola.  It decreases in diameter.  And the original pigmentation, which was spread over a larger area, now becomes more concentrated in a smaller area.  In essence, the pigment "dots" are closer together, which makes the color of the areola darker -- permanently.  As for the darkness near the incision, that may be due to the healing processes and may lighten a bit over time.  Be patient.

Dr Jacobs

Offline linoo

• Posting Member
I totally get it, i really hoped it was some temporally bruising thing, i wish theres any method to get it lighten, otherwise ill have to live with this. Anyways life goes on. Thanks a lot doctor

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
If you had unilateral gynecomastia it explains it all. After surgery to correct gynecomastia the skin and areola will shrink. usually this makes the areola look darker. It's sort of like an accordion effect. If you look at before and after photos of ay busy gynecomastia surgeon you will see this in the majority of cases. When you have both sides done it is usually not an issue because both shrink the same way and match in color. When you have only one side done you are more likely to see the difference. Ordinarily I would recommend just to let it be. Probably no one else is going to notice. if it really becomes an issue the areola can be "tightened" and this will remove the redundancy and make the color closer.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline linoo

• Posting Member
I guess you are right doctors. Ive been struggling with this for 8months waiting to get it lighter, but now that I know it won't happen its kinda like a relief in someway, I guess I should take care about the scar issue at least, maybe with those cortisone injection itll look more natural and less bizarre lol

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024