Author Topic: What should I weigh before considering surgery  (Read 1275 times)

Offline jal26

• Posting Member
I am 57 years old, 5'10" and 260lbs. Have Level II or III gynecomastia, was diagnosed at 18 when I weighed 160lbs. Definite large glands. What should my target weight be before surgery?

I can now afford it after 47 years of psychological torment. Started when I was 10-11. My life has been constant embarasement and I never would be seen by anyone but my wife without a shirt. I hate my body and have been depressed since about 12 years old.

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Telling you an exact number is impossible from just your height. There are many different body types. You should see either your family doc or go to a weight loss center for a good evaluation. I think you are on the right track as far as wanting to lose the weight prior to correction of your gynecomastia. Good luck. Be patient.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline jal26

• Posting Member
I have seen references to reaching a "stable weight." What does that mean?

My most "stable" (?) weight was in my late 20's at around 165lbs, but at my age with my sedentary job, 175lbs or so seems reasonable if I can get there and stay there.

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I think of  a stable weight as the weight tat you can maintain give or take 5 lbs, with little effort. I always recommend a healthy lifestyle with good eating habits and some level of exercise. Good for the mind, good for the body.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024