Author Topic: grade 1 gyno  (Read 1399 times)

Offline khiladi256

• Posting Member
Can grade 1 gynecomastia be cured with lyposunction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Most of the time, both gland excision and liposuction are required for the best possible result.  On rare occasion, lipo alone can be successful.

You should seek a surgeon who is comfortable with doing both procedures at the same time -- ie an expert in gyne surgery.  If your surgeon insists on doing lipo only, you may be left with residual tissue and may need revision surgery -- another expense and utterly needless if the surgery is done right the first time.

I perform gyne surgery in a stepwise fashion, first starting with lipo and if it is not sufficient, then without hesitation, proceeding to gland excision.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
First there is no universally accepted classification system for gynecomastia. As a matter of fact I recently reviewed an article trying to make sense of  39 classification systems for gynecomastia in the medical literature. So in short I'm not certain what your situation is. As was stated by Dr Jacobs almost all the time to optimize results an excision of glandular tissue needs to be combined with some sort of liposuction. It's not just that a surgeon can do a little of both and you will be fine.The surgeon needs to know how much to remove and how to optimize the various layers of tissue after surgery to optimize the final result so experience is very important.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I agree with both Drs. Jacobs and Pensler. I don't put much stock into classification systems. I believe treatment options depend on the amount of breast tissue and quality of skin / skin excess. True glandular gynecomastia usually requires direct excision, even if it is just a small amount which cannot be removed by liposuction alone. Be careful if your surgeon does not believe this or is not able to surgically excise the gland. There are always a lot of complaints on this site regarding incomplete removal when only liposuction was performed. Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:22:11 PM by Dr. Schuster »
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I will second and third the comments made in order to reinforce the probably need for both liposuction AND excision.  Many surgeons who don't do gynecomastia on a regular basis try to avoid the incision at the expense of a complete result.  If you just have puffy nipples, it's likely that some glandular excision will be required to get you a good result. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024