Author Topic: Will it go away?  (Read 907 times)

Offline H12345

Hi, I was wondering if there is any chance that my gynecomastia will go away on it’s own. Right now, I’m 15 years old and I’ve had gyecomastia since I was about 11.(The picture of me in the orange shirt was when I was 11 and the others are now).  It’s really bothering me and my parents don’t understand and think surgery is crazy, but I desperately want it because I’ve had it for 4 years. Lastly, if surgery is my only option, am I too young to get it? I definitely have true gynecomastia because I can feel 2 hard lumps under my nipples. Thanks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If your gynecomastia has been present and stable for four years, then it is doubtful that it will spontaneously disappear -- you would need surgery.  Of course, you and your parents will likely go to your pediatrician who will put his/her hand on your shoulders and reassure you that it will disappear by the time you are 18.  And then, as if by magic, it will disappear overnight on your 18th birthday.  WRONG. And you will lived for several more of your precious teen years dealing with and hiding your gynecomastia.

I have spoken about this for many years.  It is absolutely, perfectly safe to operate on a 15 year old for established gynecomastia.  And the gyne does not recur.  I have hundreds of patients who can testify to that!

Would recommend you have a heart to heart talk with your parents and have them review some of the teen gynecomastia discussions on this forum.

Best of luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Dr. Jacobs has said it as well as anyone could.  If the condition hasn't resolved after 3 years, it's unlikely to resolve on its own. No sense suffering any longer than you have to with it, but it may take some understanding on your parents part to get them on board. 
Good luck!
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I agree with the others. For many years I have tried to appeal to Peditricians not to delay surgical treatment for their young patients who have persistant gynecomastia (over two years). I continue to treat adolecents. In general they get great results because their skin is in such great shape. Discuss with your parents and ask them to visit this site were they can get some really good info. Ask them to at least join you for a consultation with an experienced surgeon. Good luck.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024