Author Topic: Physical exam  (Read 1121 times)

Offline newat50

• Posting Member
I saw my GP last month who took a history, did a breast exam and ordered full hormone screen blood tests. All came back well within the normal ranges but is making referral to Endocrinologist in any case as it seems to be recent onset. (Likely to be a couple of months here in the UK.) Reading around a lot of guidelines indicate that testicles should be checked, but GP didn't do so.
My thoughts are that if there was something wrong with the testicles that it would show up in the hormone readings and that there's not an urgent need to check them: I can do so with the consultant in due course. If I didn't have some breast enlargement I wouldn't otherwise be concerned. Does that sound fair or should I go back to my GP sooner rather than later?

(Age 52, 5ft6, 142lbs, healthy. Recently noticed 32C. Uncomfortable but not painful. Not likely to head down surgery route.)

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
New onset gynecomastia at age 52 is generally caused by excess weight (fat), side effects of medication, or possibly from an underlying condition. Testicular exam should be done to be sure there are in fact two present and they are normal.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline newat50

• Posting Member
Quote from: Dr. Schuster link=topic=35325.msg216529#msg216529 date=1557966729
New onset gynecomastia at age 52 is generally caused by excess weight (fat), side effects of medication, or possibly from an underlying condition. Testicular exam should be done to be sure there are in fact two present and they are normal.
Thanks. I'll get them checked as I'm not on any meds. Be interesting to know if fat is often the cause even in "normal" BMI range (Mine is 22.7.)

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Glad to know your testes are ok. In the absence of hormonal abnormalities to suggest a problem, weight gain could be a factor, but you didn't mention that. Gynecomastia in the 50s and 60s is not so uncommon, and it can develop gradually and insidiously with the slow increase in body fat that is typical of many men with deposition of fat in the chest area.  If everything else is ruled out, that's probably the cause, and there's no need to treat it if it's not really an issue for you. The key is being sure there's not a cause that's a problem. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024