Author Topic: Hormone levels  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
I’d never in my 61 years had my hormones checked and the results explain a lot!  I’ve had my thyroid checked as a youngster a couple of times with nothing unusual except the gyno. My testosterone was very high at 1100!!! My estrogen was high too at over 40. That’s high for a guy but not out of the park. I’m due for more tests to see what’s going on but researching the numbers seem to explain a lot of what my life’s been since I was a preteen. 
Anyone else with weird numbers? Have you ever had your hormones checked?

Offline bendo

• Posting Member
Hello all,

First, I don't have a gynecomastia yet (or really an old one remains very very light from my teenage years). So you will ask why I am here. As I have Klinefelter Syndrome, I am following a treatment in order to try to improve spermatogenesis. And this treatment is based on hcg + FSH for 6/7 months. So this treatment and KS are high risks to have gynecomastia. That's why I documented myself a lot on all hormones, "normal" levels and consequences. I read a lot of scientific studies but I am not a doctor.

Normally, testosterone and estradiol should not be too low or too high. But there is also a ratio to keep. The testosterone/estradiol ratio should ideally be between 10 and 30. But if the estradiol level is too high, a correct ratio will not prevent gynaecomastia.

Secondly, aromatase (which converts testosterone into estradiol) becomes more important with age, overweight and genetic problems. For example, for a young man, not overweight and without genetic problems, the "normal" estradiol level for a testosterone level of 1000 (which is very high) should be around 30 or 40 pg/mL.

The strange thing about Traveler is that the testosterone level is so high for a 61 years-old man.

For Dudewithboobs there is clearly a problem. 167 pg/mL is enormous. Gynecomastia clearly comes from there. The T/E ratio is at 2.1 when it should be above 10.

For my part, I am 36 years old, tall and quite thin. I should even put on some weight... Before the treatment I was at 480 for testosterone and 11 pg/mL for estradiol. This is not normal for my age but it is due to the syndrome and my low fat level. It is mainly in fat that the T -> E conversion takes place.
With the treatment (4 injections per week) I have a tesotesterone of 1030 and estradiol of 68 pg/mL. My ratio is therefore 15.1. Just what I need. On the other hand my estradiol is a little high. Maybe that's why I have some feeling in my chest. But the good news is that in a month and a half of treatment, I have the impression that nothing has changed so I hope it will stay like that until the end of the treatment (in 5 months and a half). After that I will have a testicular surgery (in order to find sperm) so my testosterone level will be even lower than my initial level. But we'll see later. One thing at a time.

Offline bendo

• Posting Member
Yeah I haven’t had my hormones checked for about a year probably since I last went to a dr. I informed him of my chest felt like it developed more and he ran tests and said they were low t and high e indicators but nothing alarming. My levels were Estrogen 167 pg/mL. And testosterone 350 ng/mL I asked him about this if correct cause I def know levels should be much higher than that for normal But he said T levels are only considered abnormally low of below 300. I like my dr but I think he’s a bit outdated. I don’t know I did my research briefly and feel my e is pretty high and t is above low range but not by much. I wish I had kept the lab report to cross check progesterone and cortisol and all that stuff that may be playing a part in my breasts continuing to grow. But between work family and otherwise seeming healthy j just dint care to pay 100.00 to find out.
Honestly, you should quickly talk to your doctor or another one about anti aromatase or estrogen blockers.  If you take testosterone, as you said, you will be sterile and there is a risk that it will produce more estradiol because of the aromatase. From what I understand from your previous posts, your problem started less than a year ago.If you manage to bring down the oestradiol level in less than a year from the first symptoms, your gynecomastia could diminish and in any case it will stop developing. The other problem with having such a high oestradiol level is that it will also reduce spermatogenesis.  Your oestradiol level is so high that I don't think you will be able to lower it naturally. And with a level like that your gynaecomastia will probably continue to develop.

Offline Goodnplenty

• Bronze Member
Doctors do that all the time.  If you're on the low side of "normal" they think that's ok.  When you're dealing with large ranges like testosterone, estrogen etc you're better off shooting for the upper end of normal for T and the lower end for E.  Years ago I was tested for vitamin D and the Dr. did the same thing, he had me supplement just enough to get just inside the minimum level but it wasn't nearly enough vitamin D and I ended up having to supplement more to get into the 50-100% range.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
Still no answers yet on my weird hormone profile. They’ve taken more tests and while I haven’t seen the actual numbers yet they tell me there’s “nothing” to worry about,  🙄 yet they’re having me take more tests! The last couple of months my nipples have been super sensitive in the morning, another reason to put on my bras.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
Got some test results back yesterday and two out of three are unremarkable but the third result (prolactin) has me wondering.  “Normal” range is 4-15 and I came in at 13.5 ng/ml. Combined with E at 40.4 pg/ml isn’t out of the park it’s still a hmmmm moment. Waiting on a retest of my crazy high testosterone levels.

Offline dbweb

• Bronze Member
About 10 years ago when I saw a large breast growth spurt, my hormones were checked for first time, and T was down to 219 with E said to be that of a young teen age girl which probably explained the sudden growth.  Since that point, some of my prostrate meds were changed and T is above 300 again with E down closer to where it should be.  Granted, my libedo will never be what it was when younger, but things seem to have leveled off as I am in my 70's now. 
So these days I too wear a bra, a choice I had vs doing the surgery

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
Retested my T levels again and came in at 596 pg/ml Way better but still seems high for my age. E2 and prolactin are in the upper range of “normal” so doc says we don’t need to change anything. Ummm, have you seen my boobs? 🙄
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:17:30 PM by Traveler »

Offline Moobzie

• Silver Member
Had ends labs done about a year ago to find out just what my levels are.
The endocrinologist said the T was in the "normal" range for someone my age, with E about normal for a woman in her fifties.... But the spironolactone I take for a cardiac condition has an anti-androgenic side effect: it blocks the cells that are supposed to 'get' the T from getting it, and then the body converts the 'excess' T into estradiol - sort of a double whammy.
So....since I need the meds I take for my heart, I accept the side effect - which I only half-jokingly put as: deciding whether to wear a bra or a body bag is a no-brainer ! (Kind of obvious I need a bra!)
So for those with 'normal' to 'high' T, it could be the body converting it into estrogen, and a lot of MDs may not know that.

Offline Johndoe1

I have the same exact attitude. If it comes down to sizeable breasts or a grave, which way to the bra section!
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Offline mgr

• Bronze Member
My T levels once I started on T have been around 350. Originally my T was at zero/undetectable (which is low) after my second orchiectomy. My E was at 39 with 40 being the top of the male range.  My E is now around 25.

My boobs continue to grow and my Endocrinologist said it was because of the ratio or T to E. She said the ratio is the driving factor, not the individual numbers.  The ratio was off to start and is better now, but the T treatments will continue to cause my breasts to be sore and probably grow a bit more. We discuss it every six months and she reminds me it is a side effect. The real reason I am on TRT is for bone health, which is good at the moment.  Bones and health over boobs...it is an easy call for me.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024