Author Topic: Surgeons in Bangkok  (Read 18216 times)

Offline Sam74

• Posting Member
Hi to everybody,

I am living in Bangkok and seriously consider going for the operation.

I have already consulted Dr Teerasit, Plastic Surgery Center of Bumrungrad Hospital. They even have already made packages: http://www.bumrungrad.com/plasticsurgery/plastic_surgery_costings_detail.asp?id=mqq1185317210

I must say I was not very satisfied by the consultation. He looked at my chest for about… 2 seconds, saying “hmm, your skin is not loose, no problem, we can go for it”…
Didn’t assess if it was fat only, glandular or both.

Then, he showed me some pictures of recent operations he did and the results seem to be very good. Maybe the guy is competent but I was quite turned off by his first consultation…

According to your experiences, what to expect from a Dr who acts this way ?

Anybody has a surgeon to recommend in Bangkok??

Thanks in advance for your posts.
Cheers,

Sam

Offline starmaster

Hi
I just posted a question which is identical to yours, have you spoken with The Bangkok Hosptal or their affiliate in Phuket? Bumurungrad seems like a decent choice. I will meet them both. Hopefully we will get a reply from sombody who has either researched Bangkok
or has undergone surgery in Thailand.

Offline brahms

• Posting Member
With the currect exchange rate of 1 THB = 0.0267435 USD, 69,000 Thailand Baht = $1850USD.  I don't know.  That seems kinda expensive to me.  I'd expect it to be around $700USD because there are procedures you can get in Thailand that take longer to do yet are cheaper in cost.  Certainly, time is not the only factor and it is also important to give value to the surgeon's skills, hospital, etc.  Still, I think it is expensive for Thai standards.

Alternatively, for US or Canadians.  After you total up airfare + at least 1 week hotel, you end up spending more total than if you had the procedure done at home in the first place.  Perhaps, another Thai surgeon or hospital gives a cheaper cost for gyno surgery?

Offline Sam74

• Posting Member
Please see post and link from oldgynodude: http://www.gynecomastia.org/cgi-bin/gyne_yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=14;action=d isplay;num=1137120447;start=0#0  

It is very detailed indeed and give many details about surgery at Bumrungrad in Bangkok.
Being a resident in BAngkok, I must say that this is probably the most beautiful hospital in the world (looks like a 5 star hotel, marble lobby, gloved valet, etc) however I was never impressed by the quality of doctors there but I guess this has more to do with the quality of Thai education in general rather than this hospital in particular.

Anyway, I have asked Chris if he could let us know how he feels a few months after the operation and how the final result looks like. Hopefully, we'll get an answer.
Cheers,

Sam

Offline brahms

• Posting Member
Please see post and link from oldgynodude: http://www.gynecomastia.org/cgi-bin/gyne_yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=14;action=d isplay;num=1137120447;start=0#0  

It is very detailed indeed and give many details about surgery at Bumrungrad in Bangkok.
Being a resident in BAngkok, I must say that this is probably the most beautiful hospital in the world (looks like a 5 star hotel, marble lobby, gloved valet, etc) however I was never impressed by the quality of doctors there but I guess this has more to do with the quality of Thai education in general rather than this hospital in particular.

Anyway, I have asked Chris if he could let us know how he feels a few months after the operation and how the final result looks like. Hopefully, we'll get an answer.
Cheers,

Sam

Sam,
Real interesting find.  Thanks, but I'm not getting the link to go to the page you were talking about.  Any ideas?

Offline Sam74

• Posting Member
Hi Brahms,

Try cliking on the link directly in oldgynodud message and not in mine.
I have tried and it works.

No reply yet. I hope someone will soon be able to definitely able to recommend a surgeon/place in Bangkok. After all, it is turning into one of the capital surgeries of the world and it should be easy to get good operation here !

Any further comment or info welcome.

Cheers,

Greg.

Offline Lipoboy027

• Posting Member
Hi buddy,im thinking the same as you.I had lipo+excision 3 months back but it was all a total screwup.Now im thinking of either going to Bangkok or Philipines to have a secong surgery.I hope i could get more information from you or someone.

I would like to know if i go to Bummagrad,how long would i need to stay there if im gonna get the surgery?Do they just do lipo or with excision?And how much would i need to bring for surgery and the stay there?I hope im not troubling you but i just want to lead a mormal life again.Thank you.

Offline Sam74

• Posting Member
Hey dude,

You can get info on Bumrungrad's website. I already posted this link : http://www.bumrungrad.com/plasticsurgery/plastic_surgery_costings_detail .asp?id=mqq1185317210  

They have a package for 69,000 THB which is about 1,900 USD. I think it includes overnight which is all you need.
I believe they might want to see you the following for a check-up. You could stay in bangkok for a week. It is a very affordable city with lots of things to do and see.
For about 2, 000 THB (50 USD) you can get a very decent hotel not far from the hospital. Of course, it can also be cheaper and still acceptable, no worries.
I advise you to book the room through internet, it is cheaper (check planetholidays.com or bangkok.com for example).

Hope this helps. Good luck ! If you go for it, please let us know about the doctor. To this day, we still don't have a name to be recommended. That's frustrating!!!

Cheers,

Offline wrinkle

With the currect exchange rate of 1 THB = 0.0267435 USD, 69,000 Thailand Baht = $1850USD.  I don't know.  That seems kinda expensive to me.  I'd expect it to be around $700USD because there are procedures you can get in Thailand that take longer to do yet are cheaper in cost.  

Wow. $700 usd?  i went to a clinic here in singapore for a consultation, he quoted me a price of $12,000 usd. Let's just say I'm highly considering Bumrungrad.

As for the whole process, I'm a bit confused. So I arrange for an appointment, I fly in. They do a consultation and a day of testing and i get operated on the following day? Or am I going to have to fly there on two separate occasions?

Also, after the process is done, I was informed sometimes there might be liquid buildup for up to three weeks after the operation and one has to go in everyday to get it drained out. How is this done if you have to leave the country after the operation week? Can you go into a local clinic, explain the situation and have them do it for you?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Want to get this done ASAP. Cheers.  :-*

Offline Lipoboy027

• Posting Member
Hey dude,

Hope this helps. Good luck ! If you go for it, please let us know about the doctor. To this day, we still don't have a name to be recommended. That's frustrating!!!

Cheers,

Hi Sam74,im not sure if im going to Bumrungrad after reading this.Like you said,to this day we still dont have a name to be recommended.

A Patient's Frustration:
The patient went to Bumrungrad Hospital because of their "reputation" for quality medical care, especially in the plastic surgery area. Bumrungrad Hospital is trying to market themselves around the world as a location to come to for a "holiday" plastic surgery procedures. So the patient thought Bumrungrad Hospital could be trusted.

The patient had received a different plastic surgery procedure in the past and was familiar with how the abdominal liposuction process worked. The patient performed extensive research on whether the surgery was correct and whether the patient would be an ideal candidate for the plastic surgery, all information pointed to a very positive outcome. The patient went to Bumrungrad Hospital for a free consultation with a surgeon Dr. Vira. Dr. Vira explained the process and confirmed that the patient was an ideal candidate and that the patient's expectations on the plastic surgery were realistic.

Dr. Vira explained that it did not matter how much fat was removed from the abdomen since it was the look that was important. Dr. Vira said that he estimated that it would take 1000 cc's to get the patient the optimal look that the patient was looking for.

The patient showed up at Bumrungrad Hospital the day of the surgery and found out that Dr. Vira had double booked another patient in the same time period. The patient heard Dr. Vira apologize to the other patient that they would have to wait until the first procedure was completed (this patient thinks that the process was rushed because the doctor was double booked).

The procedure at Bumrungrad Hospital seemed to go well and there were no complications with the surgery. Dr. Vira explained that he took out over 1100 cc's, more than originally estimated. The patient recovered from the surgical procedure at Bumrungrad Hospital per normal, and followed all the doctor's advise on what to do and what not to do. As part of the abdominal liposuction process, the patient will swell during surgery and then slowly go down to their "new" look as the swelling subsides.

During the recovery process the patient visited Dr. Vira several times at the Plastic Surgery Clinic at Bumrungrad Hospital, per the doctor's instructions. At each visit the patient queried Dr. Vira on why the patient did not have the look that was expected. Dr. Vira assured the patient that it was due to swelling and that the desired look would be achieved once the swelling went down. On his final post operative follow up at Bumrungrad Hospital, all of the swelling was gone and the patient had no where near the look that was promised by Dr. Vira. Dr. Vira admitted that the surgery did not go well and that the procedure missed a lot of fat that should have had removed.

Dr. Vira said that the patient could have the surgery at Bumrungrad Hospital again, but that the patient would have to pay for the surgery again (only hospital fees not doctor fees). The patient took exception to that, why should the patient pay Bumrungrad Hospital again for a surgery that was "botched" the first time around. The patient also lost faith in Dr. Vira and did not wish to have the surgery performed by him again.

The patient said that solution was not acceptable and was referred to the Quality Management Department at Bumrungrad Hospital. After several emails, phone conversations, and a meeting; Bumrungrad Hospital Staff came up with an inadequate response as far as the patient was concerned. Bumrungrad Hospital wanted the patient to have the surgery with Dr. Vira again, and wanted the patient to pay 50% of the hospital costs.

The patient thought that Bumrungrad Hospital was not listening at all, because the patient did not want to be touched by Dr. Vira again, and did not even want the surgery again. At that time, Bumrungrad Hospital responded with a letter from the Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Chatree. Dr. Chatree said that the procedure performed on the patient met Bumrungrad Hospital's standards and that more fat was not removed because of the danger of tissue damage. This letter from Dr. Chatree directly contradicts what Dr. Vira told the patient in his office at Bumrungrad Hospital.

The patient requested a meeting with the Chief Executive Officer of Bumrungrad Hospital, Mr. Curtis Schroeder. Mr Schroeder declined to even meet with the patient and referred he matter to Dr. Chatree. In as subsequent follow up email Mr. Schroeder felt that the Bumrungrad Hospital's offer was their best offer and they were sticking to it as a matter of principle.

So this patient paid to have a procedure performed, the procedure was not done correctly, and the way Bumrungrad Hospital took care of this patient was to ask them to pay 50% of the cost AGAIN and go and see the same doctor that did the procedure poorly the first time.

Offline Sam74

• Posting Member
Hey Lipoboy,

Hmm... I really don't know what to say anymore then...

Where did you this from ?? Any reliable source ?

All I can say is that, yes, Bumrungrad IS a money making machine with an agressive marketing department who runs the hospital just as a business, that's for sure .
It is neat, tidy, very well organized but I have never been convinced by the quality of the doctors (even, if they are supposed good by Thai standards).

I must say I did have a knee surgery (arthroscopy) with full anesthesia and it went well.

Regarding plastic surgery, well I just with someone could give us ONE name of a doctor so we can all confidently go to the same  :-/ !!!

The only lead we have so far is the post from oldgynodude with a positive experience. However, he disappeared from the forum and did not react to my follow-up request...

Regarding posting by wrinkle, I can not answer this is too technical. I would not recommend going there, meeting your doctor and going for operation the next day. I mean this involves a high level of confidence, this is why I did not go through with Dr. Teerasit after my first consultation (remember the "2 second" inspection of my breast, saying "ok, the skin is not loose we can go for it"...?!

Well, let's keep combining our efforts to try to find a reliable address in Bangkok. Shouldn't be so complicated, damn it !  :P

Sam74

Offline Lipoboy027

• Posting Member
Sam74,i believe if we can get fromfar to reply to us we can maybe do the surgery in Malaysia.As Thailand is also quite near to Malaysia,we got aleast an option.Check out the surgery in India thread and the post by fromfar.

Offline wrinkle

thanks for the help everyone. do you know if the pricing in malaysia is significantly higher? i heard its about double the price of thailand..

Offline buzzer1000

Hi,
I am 33 years old and and had gyno since i was about 21.
I have been living in Thailand for the last 4 years and have been thinking about surgery at the Bumradgrad hospital Bangkok.
Last week i had to go down to Bangkok so i had a look at the hospital,from the outside it is more like a big shopping mall or hotel,i have never seen anything like it.
Has anybody got any names of the surgeons there that have done this surgery for them and are happy with the surgery before i book a appointment.
Also has any body had the surgery done at Ram hospital Chiang mai?
Buzzer1000

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024