Author Topic: Post surgery recovery  (Read 6479 times)

Offline CJ

Hey everyone,
I have a couple of questions for those of you that know from experience or have been told these answers by their PS.

• As I understand it there is a phase I compression garment and a phase II.  How long before you typically transition to the phase II and what exactly is the difference?  Will something like an Under Amour shirt suffice or do you need to buy something specific?  How long do you wear the phase II?
  • Typically, how long before you totally feel back to normal?  By that I mean able to play golf, lift weights ,etc.  Realize this varies wildly, but what is an average? 

Thanks in advance. 

DrBermant

Hey everyone,
I have a couple of questions for those of you that know from experience or have been told these answers by their PS.

• As I understand it there is a phase I compression garment and a phase II.  How long before you typically transition to the phase II and what exactly is the difference?  Will something like an Under Amour shirt suffice or do you need to buy something specific?  How long do you wear the phase II?
  • Typically, how long before you totally feel back to normal?  By that I mean able to play golf, lift weights ,etc.  Realize this varies wildly, but what is an average? 

Thanks in advance. 

I had my surgery two weeks ago in Toronto and was wondering what is the best vest to wear after the initial three weeks? The one I received from my doctor isn't very comfortable and although it is tight it keeps sliding down after a few days. It's a compression vest but only covers the top half.

Thanks,
Big Brother
The timing for how long each type vest is worn depends on many factors.  I prefer to individualize the after surgery compression for each of my patients and check the fit myself before surgery.

The After Gynecomastia Surgery Vest can be a powerful tool for recovery, but it can cause problems such as too much pressure that compromises the blood supply to tissue.

The tightness of the Stage One After Gynecomastia Surgery Vest and Stage Two After Gynecomastia Surgery Vest can be so important, I prefer to fit each of my own patients myself before surgery. It is rare that I vary from my initial fitting.  Most of my patients now prefer to switch to a Stage II vest after initial healing.  Timing depends on many factors.  I have tried many different brands and types and not found anything as effective as what I am using.  The few issues I had years ago with the garments I use were addressed when the company changed the design at my request. 

For Non-Surgical Body Conturing and Compression, you are not dealing with compromsed tissues and the fit is less critical.

Recovery and return to activities after surgery depends on the original problem, what was done, skill of your surgeon, after care, how you heal and other factors.  Many of my patients return to light duties the day after the operation.  However, look how much swelling / bruising my technique delivers.  More surgical injury, bruising, and swelling usually slows recovery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
StageI / StageII vests?

This is something new...  Geeze, I wonder what 'StageIII' vest will look like.   ::)

Dude, one vest is more than sufficient...   ;)   

My PS, at the time of my surgery (he does supply vests now, go figure  ::)) said that a vest is not really necessary. JCF said that all I needed was my Ace bandage. However, because of wearablility issues, I chose to use the Dale Ab Binder instead of the Ace bandage that the hospital supplied me with.

GB
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 10:49:03 AM by Grandpa Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline ajgdhd

• Posting Member
I do not know if there is a specific stage two vest, but I think every Doc that requires compression puts you in a similiar vest following surgery.  My Doc wants me to wear the initial vest for around 4 weeks then I am allowed to move into an Underarmor type shirt instead of the hook and velcro vest.  Hope this helps.

Offline george1977

• Posting Member
I agree with Grandpa Bambu, 1 vest is more than enough. These stage 2 and stage 3 vests sound like a money making gimmick.

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
the original 'post op vest' - either one with a zipper, or with zipper and velcro (like mine was) is the ''stage one vest".

this is (especially during the upcoming spring/summer season) bulky and a pain in the a$$. 

the benefit of a "stage 2 vest" is that it still compresses, but is less noticeable.

I didn't have the stage 2 for my first surgery in october.  but for my revision (in 6 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) i bought two #997 shirts from Underworks.

After about 1 to 2 weeks, depending on my recovery this time, I'll be switching to the #997.  Its a tank top and I foresee it being a lot easier to conceal under a plain summer t-shirt.   

Its no gimmick, its advancement in our recovery period....

Offline tony_ss

• Silver Member
Hi PeterBateman,
I also bought underworks 997 garments (medium and large).. i found it very difficult to wear them.. my chest size is 37 inches. in fact I haven't gone surgery yet. do you have any tips to wear it?
Thanks,
Tony.

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
ya, step into the shirt, like a skirt..and pull it up over onto ur shoulders. 

Offline tony_ss

• Silver Member
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your reply. any reason why r u going for revision surgery.. u didn't get glandular tissue removed last time?...
-Tony.

Offline gyneman

• Gold Member
You only need to wear stage 1 vest for 4-6 weeks, then you don't need it anymore. It's a money maker/gimmick!!

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your reply. any reason why r u going for revision surgery.. u didn't get glandular tissue removed last time?...
-Tony.

i had both done, just need more lipo and some scar tissue removed. 

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
You only need to wear stage 1 vest for 4-6 weeks, then you don't need it anymore. It's a money maker/gimmick!!

have fun wearing your stage one under a tshirt in the summer. 

like i said, the stage 2 is ideal for summer use when you dont have 2 layers of clothes to conceal the stage 1's zipper, hooks, and velcro.

Offline tony_ss

• Silver Member
Peter/Gyneman,
whether stage 1 vest or stage 2 vest, how long i need to wear the vest after surgery?
thanks,
Tony.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024