Author Topic: Does it come back?  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
I've heard people mentioning the possibility of gynecomastia coming back...  Does it really, even after gland excision?  Does the gland regenerate or do some guys just put on a lot of fat in the chest area?
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline flex1appeal

Surgeons typically do not remove the entire gland leaving some behind to prevent a concave effect on the nipples. Any gland left behind is usually active still and can be excited by hormonal imbalances to have breast tissue regrowth. Yes, it is possible for it to return.  

Offline rocketrob

• Silver Member
  • GYNO IS A BIATCH!
Exactly right  Flex..... so stay off the "JUICE" and watch your diet and pot smokin...lol

Trust me, once you have surgery.. gamblin with gyno again (unless unavoidable circumstances - genetic) is foolish!

Offline Mr_Nip

Fortunately I don't do "juice" and I don't smoke anything, unless you're talkin' about food.  I don't gamble either.  As for beer... uh... did I mention I don't gamble?  ;D

Offline rocketrob

• Silver Member
  • GYNO IS A BIATCH!

Offline flex1appeal

You should be fine unless you have an out of whack test to estrogen balance. Wouldn't hurt any to have yourself checked by an endocrinologist just to be safe. If your test and hormone levels come back normal you should be fine.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Yes, it is possible for it to return.

but.... very rare for it to do so.

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Hypo-is-here

You should be fine unless you have an out of whack test to estrogen balance. Wouldn't hurt any to have yourself checked by an endocrinologist just to be safe. If your test and hormone levels come back normal you should be fine.

Spot on.

Offline Mr_Nip

What I'm going to say, I don't intend to influence others with because it could be considered foolish...  I'm now in my 40's and it wouldn't really matter whether an endocrinologist told me I'm imbalanced or not.  I haven't experienced any growth since early teen years.  I guess my point is that even if it came back it would be worth the surgery just to know what it's like for ONE SUMMER to go to the pool or beach and NOT be snickered at, or see the "evil smile" on people.  I know I'm rambling, but here are some more questions:   If I DID see an endo doc, then what would be the purpose of it for me?  What are the chances it would really matter for somebody in their 40's?  If so, then is it too late now that my surgery is scheduled in a couple of weeks?

Offline Hypo-is-here

What I'm going to say, I don't intend to influence others with because it could be considered foolish...  I'm now in my 40's and it wouldn't really matter whether an endocrinologist told me I'm imbalanced or not.  I haven't experienced any growth since early teen years.  I guess my point is that even if it came back it would be worth the surgery just to know what it's like for ONE SUMMER to go to the pool or beach and NOT be snickered at, or see the "evil smile" on people.  I know I'm rambling, but here are some more questions:   If I DID see an endo doc, then what would be the purpose of it for me?  What are the chances it would really matter for somebody in their 40's?  If so, then is it too late now that my surgery is scheduled in a couple of weeks?

If your gynecomastia has been settled for a long time and not in a state of flux then you would hope that the problem would not return.  

Seeing an endocrinologist would give you an idea as to how likely it is for the problem to reoccur and it would also be prudent/precautionary because if you did have an underlying issue, something a significant minority of men do, it might be preferable to have whatever it is diagnosed and possibly treated for your own well-being.

For instance I had a long term untreated hormone imbalance and unbeknown to me it was causing osteoporosis- had I have had the condition diagnosed and treated earlier then my back would be in a better state than it is now- still my diagnosis and treatment has helped my back improve and has improved my general well-being.

I know quite a few people who have been diagnosed with a variety of problems, people who were found hypogondal, hypothyroid etc and they are far better off now than they were.

For you, you probably will not have an issue, most likely such an appointment and pathology will just confirm everything is ok and you can rest assured.....it is something that is very good for people in our position- to known where we stand.

I hope that makes as much sense as your pertinent/very valid questions.

I hope your surgery goes great- see you on the other side with a smile :D

Offline Mr_Nip

Thanks, guys.  

Hypo, I hear the "other side" is good.  ;D
Can't wait to get there.

Offline flex1appeal

If your gynecomastia has been settled for a long time and not in a state of flux then you would hope that the problem would not return.  

Seeing an endocrinologist would give you an idea as to how likely it is for the problem to reoccur and it would also be prudent/precautionary because if you did have an underlying issue, something a significant minority of men do, it might be preferable to have whatever it is diagnosed and possibly treated for your own well-being.

For instance I had a long term untreated hormone imbalance and unbeknown to me it was causing osteoporosis- had I have had the condition diagnosed and treated earlier then my back would be in a better state than it is now- still my diagnosis and treatment has helped my back improve and has improved my general well-being.

I know quite a few people who have been diagnosed with a variety of problems, people who were found hypogondal, hypothyroid etc and they are far better off now than they were.

For you, you probably will not have an issue, most likely such an appointment and pathology will just confirm everything is ok and you can rest assured.....it is something that is very good for people in our position- to known where we stand.

I hope that makes as much sense as your pertinent/very valid questions.

I hope your surgery goes great- see you on the other side with a smile :

exactly
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 07:43:22 AM by flex1appeal »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024