Author Topic: What age?  (Read 15887 times)

Offline mouse

Hello everyone. I am married to a man who suffers from Gynecomastia. His father also has it. I could never understand why it was never discussed in his family when he was child. I can only imagine how painful and confusing that must have been to experience something like that alone. My husband has decided he is ready to do something about it and we have begun to educate ourselves about it. My question is about my son though. He will be 10 this month and he shows no signs of it now but I was wondering at what age did you first notice any symptoms? Is there a certain age at which is better to wait for this type of surgery? I hope he is fortunate enough to not have it at all but if he does we'll support him in what ever he wants to do about it.

Offline orion5

• Posting Member
I noticed it about twelve, but it didn't become a problem till about 13-14.

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
...I hope he is fortunate enough to not have it at all but if he does we'll support him in what ever he wants to do about it.

That's what counts, and he's a lucky kid.  By the way, make sure to communicate with him about it if you notice him acting funny about taking off the shirt, etc.  Many kids make the mistake of hiding their concerns from their parents, and parents make the common mistake of putting off discussing it until the kid is "ready" and brings it up.  Be watchful and ready to make the first move. 

To answer your question, my gyne first showed it's ugly head at around age 9.   Most surgeons generally will say that 17 is the entry-level age into surgery because of puberty hormone fluxuations that need to settle down first.   I waited until age 42 for surgery because I didn't even know what was wrong with me until I discovered this site last July.  I had childhood experiences of family silence much like your husband, and yes it was painful and confusing at times.  He's lucky to have you, and I'm happy you and he are going forward together with a solution.  Keep us informed and ask us anything you want.  You'll find a ton of support here.   :)
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline Chodel

• Silver Member
  • Défectuosité toujours
I think I was about 10-12 years of age.  As for the best age for the op.  I would have assumed when the lad has stopped growing and is fully developed as with most plastic surgery.  Just a guess of course.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
...I hope he is fortunate enough to not have it at all but if he does we'll support him in what ever he wants to do about it.

That's what counts, and he's a lucky kid.  By the way, make sure to communicate with him about it if you notice him acting funny about taking off the shirt, etc.  Many kids make the mistake of hiding their concerns from their parents, and parents make the common mistake of putting off discussing it until the kid is "ready" and brings it up.  Be watchful and ready to make the first move. 

To answer your question, my gyne first showed it's ugly head at around age 9.   Most surgeons generally will say that 17 is the entry-level age into surgery because of puberty hormone fluxuations that need to settle down first.   I waited until age 42 for surgery because I didn't even know what was wrong with me until I discovered this site last July.  I had childhood experiences of family silence much like your husband, and yes it was painful and confusing at times.  He's lucky to have you, and I'm happy you and he are going forward together with a solution.  Keep us informed and ask us anything you want.  You'll find a ton of support here.   :)

x2...

Awesome post Nip...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
about 13. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline mouse

Denverguy,

The size in your before pics look very similar to my husband's size. Looks like your surgery was successfull. How does it feel to be able to take off your shirt and not worry? You look great! Congrats!

Offline cannaman20

• Posting Member
I first noticed my gyne at around 11.  I must say though that although the depression was/is terrible the worst part was that now as I'm older I realize all the things that could've helped prevent it.  There are hormone therapies and other drugs that can help stop or elimanate the growth of gyne in some young males.  If you notice your son is beginning to develop some gyne I think it'd be best to go to the doc with you child and tell the doctor about you family's history with it and find out if there are any preventative measures you can take with it. I cannot describe how horrible it feels to discover now that if I just had the balls to discuss it with my doc when I was young maybe this whole thing could've been avoided. I can tell you though that my family has a history of it and I believe I have it so I'm not sure if it is genetic but it maybe that you can be genetically more susceptible to it. Just keep an eye on your child and If you notice anything (your husband should know most of the common signs of hiding it) talk with a doc.

cody sockeye

I was like 8 or so when I noticed. I dont think you have to wait until you're 17 to get the surgery. You people know gynecomastia facks you up in no time. By the age of 12-14 I was totally devastaded.(suicide thoughts etc...) im not FOXNEWSing you, im just telling you the truth. communication with your kid will help this problem.  Visit a beach this summer and see for yourself, his chest or his actions.

dont force him to take his shirt off, i remember some idiots telling me to take it off when i was like 9-10. Believe me you feel like your brain is freezing and pass out when you take it off.

gynecomastia doesnt suck anything but your entire life. and by your entire life you know what im talking about. YOUR FUTURE!!!!!!

Ditto on everything.

Offline Joseph

At the age of 15, my response may be overlooked. But concerning your question, I had noticed my Gynecomastia around the age of eleven. It wasn't noticeable much keep in mind I was born a large kid and kept that figure for years, but once I lost pounds it was more obvious. This was around the age of thirteen. But it depends really on the age that men or boys will develop Gynecomastia. It all has to do with really if they're going through puberty or not. If he starts to ask you why there's hair down there, or what's happening to my voice, it would be the right time to start doing your own investigation by looking for common symptoms of Gynecomastia.

Offline theblues

• Bronze Member
I had it ever since I can remember, even as a child (I was overweight pretty much all my life until the age of 16), but then I obviously thought it was just fat and that my chest would become normal once I lost the weight. Of course, that didn't happen.

Offline huffking

• Posting Member
As soon as you notice the gyne coming in go to the doctor and get some esstrogen blockers! i wish i had known to do this when i was around 13 when i started to get mine

AntiGyneProANDRoGyNE

11, but it became a problem around 13-14.

Offline cgeorge1

• Bronze Member
14-15.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024