Author Topic: Training after surgery  (Read 9656 times)

Offline markashleigh1979

• I've had my final operation :)
How long after gland excission can you start weight training?  ???

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Just as soon as your surgeon says you can markashleigh1979.

As a rough guide, most guys seem to be pretty functional for training by week four.  I started light resistance training in week three (mostly just stretching), moderate training in week four and now in week five I am more or less full swing.  But as I said at the start, the official line is when your surgeon says so.

Hope that helps.

Offline markashleigh1979

Yer it does , thanks. I only ask cos i like to train heavy ( just like everyone on this board i think) :) and i do squats , deadlifts and other big building exercises......just don't want to tear anything.....
Thanks...:)
Hows your chest looking?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 06:35:31 AM by markashleigh1979 »

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
I found I could do full resistance on the legs by week three.  avoided anything chest-wise until last week, just to be safe.

The chest is significantly impoved now thanks.  I'd say there is about 70% improvement.  So it's not perfect, but I can wear whatever I want.  I want to get my body fat down a little more and do some serious work on my chest before I make a final judgement on it though, probably within 6-9 months of surgery.

Offline orrible

• Previously stonecold... 9.11.05 Surgery Levick
squats, deads, etc will be able to do after about 4 weeks, although not at maximum strength. The only thing i reckon might be worth avoiding slightly longer is parallell bar dips and chin ups. Didnt relaise so many of proper weight training. Should do our own body for life challange see who can drop the most body fat by summer or something ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 07:04:33 AM by stonecold »

Offline markashleigh1979

My routine is in the training section......i put it there today....under 'whats your workout' or summit like that.

I want to keep to this routine , do u think i will be ok at 4 weeks with all that ? :)

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
I bought the body for life book a couple of years ago stonecold.  I am using a personal trainer at the moment.  He says that the people in the pics probably use a personal trainer three times/week, have perfect diets and use chems to get them where they are.  I followed the plan for three months and go nowhere near the results those pictures seem to imply!

Body shape comes down to genetics.  Pardon the pun, but I have worked my t*ts off the last two years (ok, the diet has always been a problem of mine) and am only beginning to see the kind of body shape I'd like.

But yes, I am all up for mutual support in getting fitter with anyone else that's up for it.

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
markashliegh:

The best person to ask about what you can and cannot do is your own body.

In my first week, I did plenty of power walking and did not feel it impact my chest at all.

In week two I did power walking and lots of stretching, particularly the arms and pecs.

Week three was light weights.

If I detected any kind of discomfort or pain related to my chest, I stopped working that area and left it a few days.  Just listen to you body.  And that goes for any part of your body, any unusual pain, then stop.  Always keep a neutral spine in any movement and never bend the knees more than 90 degrees (such as for squats or leg press).

Power walking and swimming is loads better for cardio than running to save your knees.  I use a heart rate monitor and sustain a heart rate of around 150bpm.  I will spend anything up to  an hour using around 4/5 different Cardio equipment (makes it more interesting) until I have burned 1300 calories (as monitored by the heart rate monitor).

Offline markashleigh1979

I am up for a challenge too.......could be fun  ;D

Offline orrible

i think the body for life book teaches good principals but is ultimately a plug for EAS supplements. I read the book then bought £80's worth of mypolex meal replacement. Might as well have guilable stamped on my head. Anyway i to am up for the challange. We would have to have a start date where we post pics of our present condition, weight and body fat percentage, then have a check in at 6 and 12 weeks or something?

Offline uk2000

• Why Meeee!!
i take mypolex as a supplement now ive started training, super tasty stuff stone cold.  best protein shake out there i say
July 04 - Gland removal + liposuction- Adriaan Grobbelaar. Results: Terrible
Feb 05 - Lipo Revision- Alex Karidis.
Nov 05 - Gland + Lipo- Alex Karidis.
Jun 06 - LHS gland + Lipo - Alex Karidis.

Offline orrible

myoplex is a meal replacement shake though. I think they are a bit of a rip off really just get proptein shake and eat a banana with it or something. I like the eas protein whey and also the usn vanilla protein is nice. Right now im using reflex whey, its alright supposedly has a good rep. They are all over priced though imo. Best thing is just to eat god food when you can and use meal replacements for convience when their is no other option. Obviously taking a myoplex straight after working out is a good thing to feed the muscles.

Whats everyones goals, lose bodyfat or build up etc? Ive decided to just concentrate on fat loss for the summer. Did the low carb diet last year and had good success, but lost a bit of muscle with it and the weight piled straight back on when i stopped.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 10:20:28 AM by stonecold »

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Well I have lost fat very steadily over the last two years, around half a kilo/month.  I try to eat regular smaller portions throughout the day.  I too use Reflex whey.  I have a half portion just before a workout and a full portion immediately after.

I am not concentrating on either fat loss or muscle gain, so I suppose I am doing both at a gradual kind of rate.  So I suggest one way to go about this is for each of use to set a target.  How does that sound?  Overall I want to get my weight down from the current 108.5kg to 100kg.  I deffo don't want to go below 100kg!  Realistically I think I could loose this by the end of June if I *really* apply myself.

So that is my objective, to go from 108.5kg to 100kg by June 30 2006.

What do you guys want to achieve?  March 1st kick off date?  Or can you think of another strategy?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 10:46:06 AM by phantom »

Offline orrible

yeah i reckon just set our own goals then and see if we can do them. Im trying to drop bodyfat, i think thats a much better gauge than scales and gives a truer reflection. Im currently 14% body fat and want to get down to single digits so 9% a drop of 5%. My aim will be to drop about 1-2 & a month taking it steady. And i want to have a six pack stomach by the summer. So id say that would be achievable in 3 months if i work really hard at it.

My plan to achieve it will be to eat 6 small meals per day to speed up metabolism. Make sure i eat alot of protein, and train 5 days per week.

Offline markashleigh1979

March the 1 st sounds good to me.  
I am going for muscle growth and fat loss :) . I am currently 12.5 Stone and 5ft 9/ 10...........don't worry i know i can't do anything about the height...lol .

Shall we post pics on March the 1st?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 05:21:24 AM by markashleigh1979 »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024