Author Topic: US Citizen surgery in Canada  (Read 7197 times)

Offline Johnjohn

Hey, has anyone had experience with surgery in Canada as a US citizen? I know canadiens get alot of their surgery covered through the government insurance, but what about US citizens paying a surgeon in canada, like Dr. fielding or someone. Is it cheaper? Any info or experiences would be appreciated, thanks.

-Johnjohn

Offline FB

• Silver Member
I've wondered that myself. Especially with the 20% discount  ;D

Call Fieldings office and Find out. I would be interested to know what he charges to U.S residents....he does his op's in hospitals so it might be pricy if there is no insurance. :P
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 05:47:23 PM by freezerburnt »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
You'll most likely have to pay full cost but like FB said, you still have an advantage with the Canada/US exchange.  ;)

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Boobies_Redux

• Posting Member
I am personally against vending Canadian medicare to US citizens, since it undermines the intent and purpose of making medical care freely available to Canadian citizens.  ESPECIALLY for surgery that is considered elective.

(I don't believe gynecomastia is elective for adolescent onset, but that is another issue.  We are still paying for the lipo fee.)

If Americans want to profit fully from publicly available medicare, they should vote in caring politicians that support the people and not private treasuries that run their country.  

Canadian taxpayer money is not to be abused by foreign nationals seeking cheap solutions to their unique personal problems.

And I mean it! (stomping my foot)

Offline FB

• Silver Member
What does that have to do with America's coming to Canada for Cosmetic Surgery???
There would be no cost to Canadian taxpayer's ???

Offline toronto

• Silver Member
  • Gyne Free since April 27, 2005

Canadian taxpayer money is not to be abused by foreign nationals seeking cheap solutions to their unique personal problems.

They take care of our missile defence, and we remove their moobs, it's the Missiles and Moobs treaty of 1967

Offline T-Cups

• Bronze Member
If you're coming in from the US, there is a danger that the hospital time could end up costing you a fair amount.  Don't know what this would be since I've never had to pay for a hospital stay....

However, I asked Dr. Frank Lista for a quote, and they said CAD$5,000 (plus tax) for the procedure, and they have their own facility.  

So I can't imagine the whole thing costing more than that wherever you go.  And there are a fair number of good surgeons in the Toronto area from what I have seen.  

Offline STILLgotIT

• Gold Member
  • Finally gyne-free
And, if you don't pay the bill, they can't put it on your credit report because they are in Canada! eh! (j/k)

Offline Boobies_Redux

• Posting Member
I don't want americans using Medicare services that are available free to Canadians.  Canadians pay taxes for this service and there is little appreciation out there for corrective breast surgery for men.  There is also little appreciation for the differences between the Canadian publicly supported medical system and how private use of those services will erode that benefit to Canadians.

If americans are allowed to come in and use public medical facilities seeking to pay less for services in the US, then Canadians who pay taxes will see less availability of those services, and very likely adolescent onset gynecomastia will wind up no longer being covered.

In my experience there has only been ONE doctor in Canada that supports surgery for adolescent onset gynecomastia and recommends treatment through medicare.  This is a precious resource for men dealing with the condition and is an absolute shame that it is not widely recognized and treated in Canada.

If you go and see a private PS for the same condition here, you will pay EXACTLY THE SAME amount of money as in the US, because the market price in the US is THE SAME in Canada, just reflects different prices in currency.

Professionals will demand the same price on either side of the border.

Offline T-Cups

• Bronze Member
I don't want americans using Medicare services that are available free to Canadians.

Won't the extra money coming into the medical system offset the availability issue?  I.e paying more doctors, getting more beds, etc.  

After all, they'll have to pay full price.  And they can just go to a private PS here anyway who will do the op for as low as 3800 dollars canadian.  I doubt there will be any impact to the medical system cuz a bunch of yanks come over to get de-moobed.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024