Author Topic: FREAKING OUT BEFORE SURGERY  (Read 4207 times)

Offline gynespain

• Posting Member
Hi everyone

The tittle is pretty clear, im freaking out, all my preop tests went ok, but during these latest days, I felt really nervous with panic attacks... i feel very hypochondriac.
So I started to feel aswell some dizziness and vertigo in my head, just when I incline the neck to the sides, half a second, something like that, not really strong, but it makes me again nervous, it isnt a good feeling just before the surgery as you can imagine.

Can be that any inconvenience for the sedation?? it will be deep sedation plus local anesthetic.

I think if they delay the surgery, I will be even more nervous about it, probaly getting worse, but still, if it can interfer on the process it's better to have it in mind

I wrote my surgeon an email just to make sure, but if you can tell me if it's usual or not to feel like that before the surgery, you would help me.
I hope some doctors can answer to this, but all opinions are welcome.

Greetings

Offline xelnaga13

I would discuss an anti anxiety medication with your general doc or PS doc. Specially if you think you could possibly have a panic attack the day of surgery.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is not unusual to be apprehensive about surgery -- and even more so as the date for surgery grows closer.  But you should also consider that you have faith in your surgeon and that this surgery is routine for him. 

A little nervousness is normal -- but do not allow it to become overwhelming.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline gynespain

• Posting Member
It is not unusual to be apprehensive about surgery -- and even more so as the date for surgery grows closer.  But you should also consider that you have faith in your surgeon and that this surgery is routine for him. 

A little nervousness is normal -- but do not allow it to become overwhelming.

Dr Jacobs
Thanks Doctor Jacobs, its just what my PS told me some minutes ago

Offline gynespain

• Posting Member
I would discuss an anti anxiety medication with your general doc or PS doc. Specially if you think you could possibly have a panic attack the day of surgery.
well, my doctor wrote me like one hour ago, and he told me that its kind of normal what im feeling and its not a problem for the sedation, so everything will be fine

thanks for writing ;)

Offline morpheus11

• Silver Member
I know exactly what you're going through.  My surgery is two weeks away, and I'm terrified. I keep thinking of any excuse to back out, but I know I need to get it done, so it's happening. 

How about you?  When do you have your surgery?

Offline gynespain

• Posting Member
I know exactly what you're going through.  My surgery is two weeks away, and I'm terrified. I keep thinking of any excuse to back out, but I know I need to get it done, so it's happening. 

How about you?  When do you have your surgery?
i will have it tomorrow
im actually more worried about having some problem that doesnt allow me to perform the surgery than the surgery itself
i mean, i fear to have feber or something and to delay it, i wanna have it done, i freaking need it to focus on my studies and social life again; so imagine, i have one pimple in my skin or whatever minor stuff, and i go crazy, not anymore, because my PS mailed me

now with one day left, nothing will change i guess, so im fine, i actually noticed an improvement in my dizziness, its liek almost gone completely, and my Ps told em that it wouldnt be a problem for sedation, its a common feeling in some patients

i will have time to worry about complications, but now i just want it to have it done and start the recovery

good luck for your surgery too

Offline morpheus11

• Silver Member
once again, best of luck to you during you're surgery. keep the community updated.

Offline 805spec

• Posting Member
I was excited to get the surgery done and had no anxiety but when I was in the operating room it was a different story.  I became super nervous and couldn't think...at all.  That only lasted a couple of minutes until they sedated me.  I think what would help is looking forward to the day when you first take off your shirt at a pool or beach or wherever else in public.  Me being excited came from that and no longer having to deal with people looking at my chest.

Offline gynespain

• Posting Member
surgey done
first result with all the initial swelling were really impressive
i dont feel anything in my head anymore, and they even used general anesthesia after all
im in my second day post op, and i had yesterday a big pain on m left side and some big swelling, but i adjusted the compression bandaje and tried to deal with the pain, in a couple of hours it was gone and the hard and big swelling appears to be gone

my PS told me that the worst part of lipo is that, and its mostly due to the drains, i dont have them anymore, so the fluids inthere have no easy escape, then they push against the bandage and you cna feel a sharp pain

today i will take another look when i change the bandages in the wholes made by the drains

greetings and thanks for the comments

Offline GodWasAngry

• Silver Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1! And it loves me!
CONGRATS!!!

My surgery is 2 days away also!

Did you only do lipo?
how was the anesthesia? Smooth?

put some pictures on!

Offline gynespain

• Posting Member
CONGRATS!!!

My surgery is 2 days away also!

Did you only do lipo?
how was the anesthesia? Smooth?

put some pictures on!
they did lipo and gland excision

the left side is already changing the color and the swelling is going away, a nurse saw it yesterday in the afternoon and she told me that it looked pretty normal, for me was little scary that same day  in the morning, but my Ps also told me it looks pretty bad for people but actually inside is not that bad.
i mean, improvements are in matter of hours even, im getting really happy with the results, in the right chest, the result is unbelievable, really, its taking the form of the muscle, i used weights and my Ps already told me that it will help with the final form
the chest in that side, not only didnt suffered extra swelling, that also started to get directly smaller.
anyway my PS told me that he worked more on the left side, and the nurse that saw me yesterday told me that he guesses more action going on in the left one, and she didnt know any detail about the surgery

i will post pictures if my PS gives them to me, because i dont have a proper cam to do it, anyway i will try, but i dont have before pics by my own
i prefer to wait till both sides are more simetric, and that will take 1 or 2 weeks if everything develops till now

thanks and good luck with ur results too

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024