Author Topic: Gynecomastia - My father had it too  (Read 3617 times)

Offline wtfgynewtf

• Posting Member
Well... my father had Gynecomastia from age 14/15, and it ended around age 17~17 and a half.
I'm 18 and a half. Also, like my father, I have Gynecomastia from age 14/15.
I have been working out at the gym for the past 8 months (4 days a week, hardcore and stuff), and was able to make my chest look a little bit more manly, but it's still much bigger than other people's chests (even people who work out at the gym for a long time), and I still have puffy nipples.
I thought about surgery, but my father insists that this is a stupid idea and my Gynecomastia is about to "go away any moment now".

Because it's, according to my father, something "genetic" that I got from him, does that mean it will "go away any moment now"? Or it may be something permanent?

Thanks. :)

P.S. I have seen some changes in the chest during the years, but it mainly changed in those 8 months of workout. As for the puffy nipples, they never changed that much. :(
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:17:07 PM by wtfgynewtf »

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Gynecomastia that develops during puberty resolves in 95% of affected individuals within 3 years of onset.  It's impossible to predict if you'll be in the 95% or in the 5% of patients for whom this doesn't resolve.  It sounds like you're on the outside of that 3 year window, but it's reasonable to give it a little more time, during which you can discuss options with your father...and start saving in the event you require surgical correction. 

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline wtfgynewtf

• Posting Member
First of all, thank you SO MUCH for replying. I really appreciate it. :)
And second, my question was more about the "genetic" part.
Can I relay of the fact that my father was in that 95%, and assume that I'll also be part of the 95%, or does genetics has nothing to do with it?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have many patients who note that their father, uncle, brother, etc had gyne as well.  In my opinion, gyne surely has some genetic component.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline wtfgynewtf

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply, Dr. Jacobs.  :)
I have just 1 more question. Did your patients also tell you if their relatives still have Gynecomastia or had a surgery to get rid of it?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
As you might suspect, some of the patient's relatives had had gyne surgery -- and others had not.  Please be aware that for many years, the only type of gyne surgery available would leave substantial scars on a guy's chest.  So one would have to be extremely motivated to trade gyne for large scars -- the gyne would have had to be huge.

Fortunately, with today's minimal scar methods, most guys can have surgery and have virtually no scars to identify what had been done.

Dr JAcobs

Offline wtfgynewtf

• Posting Member
Thank you very much for your answers. You helped me a lot.  ;D
I have another question, if I may. Is there a temporary solution for puffy nipples? (until I have surgery)
Because when I look in the mirror, this is the only REAL problem I have with my chest. I mean... of course I would like it to be more flat, but it's the nipples that make it look so bad and "girly".

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Most guys with mild puffy nipples will note that their nipples look absolutely normal in the cold or when the nipples are stimulated.  That is due to the action of small muscle fibers within the areola itself which tighten up (creating those little ripples and ridges).  The tightened skin then pushes the breast tissue inwards and presto -- a normal appearing nipple.  But when those same muscle fibers relax, the puffy nipple returns.  Of course, for large puffy nipples, even the cold doesn't do much good.

Unfortunately, there is no way to temporarily make puffy nipples look normal -- no injections, exercises, medications, etc.  If you want, you can walk around with an ice cube and rub the nipples from time to time, but that might get a little difficult on the beach.  ;)

Best to save for surgery and get it done right -- that should be a permanent solution for your problem.

Dr Jacobs

Offline wtfgynewtf

• Posting Member
If you want, you can walk around with an ice cube and rub the nipples from time to time, but that might get a little difficult on the beach.  ;)
That made me laugh really hard.
And yes, what you mentioned is exactly what happens to me all the time.
When I pinch my nipples, they look totally normal (like I wish they'll look, just without the ripples and ridges), but if I don't touch them at all, they are big and pointy (if that's how you say it in English).

Sorry about all of the extra questions I have, but I just thought about another question.  :-X
I read somewhere on the internet that it is very rare to have any kind of "special problems" (weird-looking nipples, ugly bruises, etc) after this surgery. Is that true? Is any average plastic surgeon can do this surgery without any problems? Or do I have to choose someone who specializes in Gynecomastia?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I read somewhere on the internet that it is very rare to have any kind of "special problems" (weird-looking nipples, ugly bruises, etc) after this surgery. Is that true? Is any average plastic surgeon can do this surgery without any problems? Or do I have to choose someone who specializes in Gynecomastia?

Your best chance to get a good result is with a board certified plastic surgeon.  This is not an easy or routine operation and sometimes there can be contour problems, as you have read.  But that doesn't mean that all operations turn out that way.  In fact, I would guess that it is actually very few operations that result in significant post-op deformities -- but you simply do not hear about those satisfied people on the internet or on this forum.  It is usually the guys who have a problem who voice it or who ask for some help.

Best advice:  do your homework (there is absolutely no rush to do the operation).  Go to several surgeons for consults.  And then choose the surgeon with whom you feel most comfortable and confident.  The fee, while important, should be the least of all your considerations.  If you have a good result, it will be there for your lifetime -- and long after the fee is forgotten.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I have a large number of patients who have a genetic component  for their gynecomastia. Gynecomastia typically resolves around 14 years of age.It is normal to obtain fullness under the male areola as one goes through  puberty. The minimally palpable fullness of puberty is distinctly different than gynecomastia , it is a normal response to the hormonal surge during puberty.If your father's gynecomastia is still present it is unlikely to resolve without surgery.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024