Author Topic: Need opinions. 12 weeks post op and still swollen?  (Read 4672 times)

Offline JJJJJ

• Posting Member
I'm 12 weeks post op and I'm concerned with my results. Dr. Jacobs was outstanding. I was flat as a board right after the op. I was about 235 when I had the op in March and I've since lost about 35 lbs. I look and feel great but my chest is looking bigger as I lose more weight. I don't mean in comparison to the gigantic gut I had, I mean they look pointy again. Could I still be swollen? I'm not scheduled for a follow up for a few months so I was wondering if anyone here had an experience like I'm having. Thanks in advance.

Offline unsure101

• Bronze Member
well i can say i am 12 weeks post op and around my left areola am still swollen which is making it puff out, that and scar tissue underneath.

The swelling is going down and so is the scar tissue, just slowly.

DrBermant

I'm 12 weeks post op and I'm concerned with my results. Dr. Jacobs was outstanding. I was flat as a board right after the op. I was about 235 when I had the op in March and I've since lost about 35 lbs. I look and feel great but my chest is looking bigger as I lose more weight. I don't mean in comparison to the gigantic gut I had, I mean they look pointy again. Could I still be swollen? I'm not scheduled for a follow up for a few months so I was wondering if anyone here had an experience like I'm having. Thanks in advance.

Swelling and Bruising After Gynecomastia Surgery depends on the problem to be treated, what was done, after surgery care, Scar Care, and After Gynecomastia Surgery Chest Compression and other factors. 

Posting Standard After Gynecomastia Surgery Pictures will help others better understand your concerns.

I have seen many patients unhappy with contour issues after losing weight after their surgery from other doctors.
There can be contour issues After Weight Loss.  Losing weight before surgery is typically better than losing after.  You cannot predict where the weight will come from.  Men tend to not lose fat on the chest and stomach as well as other parts of the body.  If the body is contoured to a global body fat with surgery, and a patient then loses weight, their loss is in the normal distribution, after the loss it may look like the problem has recurred.

Male Chest Drooping, Sagging, and contour issues can also be the result of loose skin after weight loss.

Such questions are best directed to your doctor who is familiar with your situation.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline JJJJJ

• Posting Member
I had a blonde moment... I'm actually only 10 weeks post op. It really feels like my chest is getting more swollen every day. It definately looks much better after surgery. I actually wear t shirts that aren't black without even wearing tanks underneath. I've been weight training a few times a week and started playing tennis again after almost 10 yrs. Could this be causing the swelling?

Offline don_joe

• Silver Member
Did you wear a compression vest ?  For how long ?  Did you massage the scar tissue ?

Offline unsure101

• Bronze Member
After about 5 weeks when i started to run the swelling popped back up and so did the scar tissue show itself.

Even 12 weeks post op when i go to the gym the next day I am swollen.. to me, this means I am far from healed internally.

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
You should probably keep wearing the vest then.  I'm still wearing the stage 2 and I am into my 11th week post-op.  I think it really helps with the healing.  If you don't like the vest you have, you should get one that is more comfortable. 

Offline JJJJJ

• Posting Member
I stopped wearing the vest after 4 weeks. I HATED IT! Then I switched to underarmour tees for a week or 2. I'm going to try the underarmours again when I do strenuous activities.

Offline Sheldon

• Bronze Member
I think vest is not gona help anymore for more than 4 weeks, i think we shudnt go to the gym for atleast 3 months for muscle tissue recovery.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
JJJJJ

Wearing some type of pressure garment is absolutely essential to healing.  Four weeks for you was probably insufficient.  If the binder provided didn't work, then you should buy a very tight vest -- and perhaps couple it with a tight Underarmour shirt beneath the vest.

And you are always welcome to return to the office at any time for any reason -- you need not wait for your scheduled appointment.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024