Author Topic: Surgery in Chennai, Dr. Ramachandran  (Read 3252 times)

Offline born2fight

Hi,

I m a 33 year old asian male. I have been suffering from gynecomastia since I was 12 or 13 year old. I was teased very badly all my life, so much that  I always used to be depressed. I gained lot of weight and things just kept going from bad to worse. Lets get started with my surgery experience. I live in Japan. Hence I planned a 3 week vacation for the surgery. I called apollo cosmetic clinic and requested them to connect me to Dr Ram. Spoke with Dr, he asked me to email my chest pics. We exchanged few emails and fixed the surgery date after payment of 5000 Rs advance.  After landing in chennai I called him, he asked me to take few test in main apollo and asked me to see him the next day. I took blood & urine tests and a ECG. Next day I met him and the anesthiesist. They confirmed that I was fit for surgery, which was scheduled the next day. I was asked to take some antibiotics that day. Was asked to wash my chest after applying beta dine in night and morning. Was asked to shave my chest.

Day 0: I went to Apollo cosmetic clinic @ 7:15 AM in morning. A guy who called himself technician helped me change to the operation gown. My BP was checked and some signatures were taken. I was taken into OP theatre around 7:45. Dr came and made some markings on my chest and clicked some pics. Anestheisist came and injected something in my vein and simultaneously oxygen mask was pressed on my face. I was administered anaesthesia. I woke up around 11:00. Dr came and told me that operation was successful.  after some time, I was given some tablets. Then some juices were given. I was discharged around 5 PM. I was asked to eat soft food that night. I woke up in night due to some pain in my left side of chest. Then slept back again.

Day 1: I got up with my parents help. Was feeling very uncomfortable. Managed the whole day just by watching TV

Day 2: Went for first dressing. Dr found that I had some bleeding on my left side. He tried to drain out the dark tar kind of liquid. Another senior surgeon Dr Aarumugam also came and had a look and confirmed that this was not hematoma and asked to leave the drain on the left side for another couple of days. Seems that it was not fresh bleeding and not a cause to worry. My painful journey had just begun. Dr Ram applied pressure on various places in chest to help the liquid find it way out. This process was very painful.

Day 4: Went for second dressing. Again he applied pressure in various places on my chest to squeeze the liquid out. Like first dressing a painful 45 min episode went on. What was even more painful was pulling off the leukoband adhesive bandage. Though my chest was shave, my back wasnt. The plasters reached my back and hence pulling them off were painful. (Pls pls pls do shave a bit of your back as well).

Day 6: Similar session again.

Day 7: Similar session again.  Stiches were removed. This time the amount of adhesive plaster was reduced. So I felt lot relieved, as its weight gave me a lot of discomfort.

Day 10: Last painful session. Leukoband adhesive plasters were removed. Was given a compression dressing and was allowed to shower for the first time. I was allowed to drive now. Was asked to give hot towel pressings, so that rest of the liquid could be aspirated. Went home saw my chest properly for the first time. Left side had hell a lot of swelling on top and bottom.

Day 13: Some liquid was aspirated. I thought aspiration was a painful procedure. But it was actually painless as the skin had lost its sensitivity. Was asked to take some antibiotics

Day 16: Again aspiration was attempted but the liquid had organised (solidified). Hence nothing came out.

Day 17: Flew out of chennai.

Its gonna be a month now and my left side swelling looks lot better. Though I was unlucky to have bleeding and a painful recovery, but I still feel it was all worth it.

Cost:
Tests 4500
Consulting fees for Anaesthesist: 300
Operation: 76500
Total : 81300

Good things About Dr Ram and hospital:
1. Dr Ram is truly an expert (one of the best in industry) and his senior Dr Aarumugam also pitches in whenever there is a complication.
2. Sisters were truly helpful and caring
3. I was not made wait for a long time in any of those dressing days

Bad things:
1. Dr Ram seems to be a bit in a hurry always. It sometimes doesnt make you feel comfortable. Just a psychological factor otherwise it didnt have any qualitative effect on the surgery.
2. The technician who helped me change on the day of operation was very mean. He kept on demanding for lot of tip. I tipped him a lot thinking that he might be involved in dressing (but he wasn't ). If you wish just tip a reasonable amt. Or you dont even have to tip him, coz he hardly did anything.

Suggestions for guys who gonna take surgery:
1. Please make your surgery plans in such a ways that you could spend some extra days at home, in case of any complications. I was expecting to be totally fine in a week, but thank god I had taken a 3 week vacation and hence some buffer time.

2. Bleeding is one of the common complications that could happen. Hence please read about it and make sure you do everything to avoid it. Like avoid alcohol and any blood thinning medications or supplements, a week before surgery. Post surgery avoid doing anything which increases your BP, like doing a strenuous work or taking mental stress, etc..

3. Pls shave you back as well, coz the adhesive plasters reach till the back for support.

4. I had read somewhere that you need to lose lot weight before you get gyno surgery done, for better results. But my surgeon told me that its a myth. I had lost lot of weight due to this reason and now had lot of loose skin hanging around. He says I might not get the best results due to skin laxity. So please consult your surgeon on such questions, instead of relying on internet.

Please do not hesitate to write to me if you need any information. Please do not get scared with my experience. Dr said 2-3 ppl in 100 have the complications which I had. Still be mentally prepared for the worst. End of the day its all worth it.

Best of luck guys.

Warm Regards,
Born 2 fight

Offline nick04

• Posting Member
It was great to hear about your experience. I wish you a speedy recovery. I'm also going for a surgery in Apollo New Delhi soon.

Offline saurabhc88

• Posting Member
@nick04 : me too man...which surgeon are you going for?

Offline Moobssuckss

• Posting Member
Man .. Thats great ... Finally U are gyne free ... Congrats ... In my case i am unable to take 3 weeks leave .. So im bit worried after reading your post .. When i consulted dr.murugesan from apollo , he said 1 week is more than enough .. After operation , do we really need some one's help ??  I cant reveal about my operation to anyone ??

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024