Author Topic: Scar care after surgery  (Read 1660 times)

Offline outofshape

• Posting Member
I'm two days post-op and i'm wondering what i can do to minimize the scars under my nipples.
The stitches are not covered up by tape. The doc told me to put a gauge on and the compression vest on top of that.
On all post-op photo's i've seen the patient's stitches were covered with tape, is that really necessary?

My next appointment with the doc is in 7 days, he's going to give me some silicone gel pads but shouldn't those pads be used from day 1 post-op?

Are there any ointments or gels i can use to help the scars to heal? The surgery was not a big deal for me but possible scarring is.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Whoa!  You are worrying too soon about scars!  There is plenty of time to worry -- if that's what you like to do.

The incisions on the edge of the areola tend to heal extremely well.  Initially, when the wounds are fresh, care and attention is directed to getting them to heal cleanly and with no infection.  Some surgeons place tapes (called "steri-strips") on the wounds -- others do not.  I do not use them, for example.  I use antibiotic ointment and a bandaid.

It is much much too early to be concerned about scars.  There are many types of tapes, creams, etc which can be used -- but all of them should be delayed until the wounds have actually healed -- which will take 1-2 weeks.  In fact, applying certain tapes, silicone pads, etc too soon after surgery can actually be detrimental.

Best to inquire of your surgeon as to his recommendations for post-healing scar care/prevention.  Be patient!!!!!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024