Author Topic: Consultation Today  (Read 3074 times)

Offline shimano

• Posting Member
I have my third consult today.  I'm hoping it's the third and final!  Having been to two other consults, the process itself is a breeze and I don't have any trouble talking to the doctor about my condition.  The part that I don't like is going through it alone.  No one knows I'm even going to consults.  That's the part that stinks.  When I schedule the surgery I'll have to tell my brother.  Until then this is a pretty lonely journey.

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
Sorry to hear that man. A lot of people on this forum really enjoy the fact that they can keep it a secret.

If you are sad about taking it on your own, consider getting you bro to come along. I had my girlfriend come to everything with me from consultation to bloods and surgery and it made a huge difference. We all need support when going through this process, you just need to get the courage to ask for it.
My Trip Report (Preop & Postop pics).

Offline xelnaga13

I kept mine a secret as long as I could. Im 26 and did not want to risk being unable to convince my parents of my need for change. My 6 months of secrecy ended when my elderly parents received my insurance approval that was listed as a mastectomy. They actually spent several minutes believing it was some kind of sex change... they watch too much tv :).

Offline shimano

• Posting Member
Thanks guys.  I made it through and the third time is a charm.  The doctor I saw today is going to be the one.  It sure pays to be patient and to get more than one opinion.  This doctor is published, performs more gynecomastia surgeries than the other doctors I saw, acknowledges the need to do excision, and is willing to work with the fact that I live over four hours away and can't come to as many pre-op/post-op visits.  I have a peace about this one that I didn't have with the other two consults.  God is good. 

Offline xelnaga13

Thanks guys.  I made it through and the third time is a charm.  The doctor I saw today is going to be the one.  It sure pays to be patient and to get more than one opinion.  This doctor is published, performs more gynecomastia surgeries than the other doctors I saw, acknowledges the need to do excision, and is willing to work with the fact that I live over four hours away and can't come to as many pre-op/post-op visits.  I have a peace about this one that I didn't have with the other two consults.  God is good. 

Great! Multiple consults never hurt and sometimes make all the difference.

Offline fsugrad

• Posting Member

Who is your doctor?

Offline shimano

• Posting Member
fsugrad: Dr. Dennis Hammond in Grand Rapids, MI.

Anyone out there have surgery with him?

Offline oft music

• Posting Member
I kept mine a secret as long as I could. Im 26 and did not want to risk being unable to convince my parents of my need for change. My 6 months of secrecy ended when my elderly parents received my insurance approval that was listed as a mastectomy. They actually spent several minutes believing it was some kind of sex change... they watch too much tv :).

Do you know if this happens in Ontario? I don't want my parents finding out...

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Shimano, just post here and you won't be going through it alone, even though we can't physically be there with you.

I've found a lot of support on this site and good advice. Even though my friends knew I was going for consults, I went by myself. I only told my uncle because I needed him to drive me to the surgery and back home  :D

Good luck, and if you have any questions just ask. And keep us posted.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024