Author Topic: What is the best background for a plastic surgeon to have?  (Read 2194 times)

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
What is the best background for a plastic surgeon to have or does it not matter as long as they have the right board certification?

Should certain background be look at more critical than others? Such as dermatologist, ENT, zoologist,veterinarian, dentist,etc.. .

Are some backgrounds better than others and if so, what would be the ideal background of a plastic surgeon?

Thanks for your help.

p.s. Some of those examples are jokes. 

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Possibly a sculptor in marble. What they have in common is that a chunk removed cannot be put back.

I recently had an Ulnar nerver transposition. My Orthopedic surgeon started out as a kid building radio controlled model airplanes. His first degree was in engineering before he turned to Medicine. I figured that if he could hook up all the servos and cables in flying models when he was a kid he was just the guy I needed.

A friend of mine was describing the perfect Anesthesiologist. and to make a point he said that it was important that they could put you to sleep but that was not the most important thing. It was important that you would be pain free but that was not the most important thing. It was important that they could awaken you when the procedure was done and THAT was most important.

So who is going to make a great cosmetic surgeon? I guess pretty much anything that demonstrates great attention to fine details and pride of workmanship. Then of course there is the very long time spent in specialized training.
Grandpa Dan

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
Possibly a sculptor in marble. What they have in common is that a chunk removed cannot be put back.

I recently had an Ulnar nerver transposition. My Orthopedic surgeon started out as a kid building radio controlled model airplanes. His first degree was in engineering before he turned to Medicine. I figured that if he could hook up all the servos and cables in flying models when he was a kid he was just the guy I needed.

A friend of mine was describing the perfect Anesthesiologist. and to make a point he said that it was important that they could put you to sleep but that was not the most important thing. It was important that you would be pain free but that was not the most important thing. It was important that they could awaken you when the procedure was done and THAT was most important.

So who is going to make a great cosmetic surgeon? I guess pretty much anything that demonstrates great attention to fine details and pride of workmanship. Then of course there is the very long time spent in specialized training.

So many plastic surgeons use the marketing hype that they are like a artist of the human body. Many of their offices are decorated like with Greek or Roman columns. I am not sure how many of them actually have artist skill in terms of drawing a picture or being able to sculpt stone.

There actually is a plastic surgeon around were I live who said he started out as a sculptor as well as precious gem cutting and the design and creation of fine jewelry. Such at cutting diamonds.  Funny you should mention that.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
No matter what his training or experience later in life, the man has some of that little boy still inside him.

When I was interviewing applicants who wanted to work for our company, I would ask them what their hobbies were when they were 12 years old and what was their favorite shop class in Jr. High School. Of the 35 technicians I hired and trained in an 8 year period; all but 2 were still on the payroll when I retired.

As the twig is bent, so grows the tree.

Offline Viking75

• Bronze Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024