Author Topic: Do doctors usually take out full amount of gland tissue?  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Nikita

• Posting Member
When I touch my chest I still feel something beneath. It that gland tissue or fat tissue?

giggsy

hammer

Some gland is left to prevent the dented in look! That would look worse then having a pectoral look! Unless you would like to have a place to put your beer can while laying on your back, lol.

Offline Nikita

• Posting Member
Some gland is left to prevent the dented in look! That would look worse then having a pectoral look! Unless you would like to have a place to put your beer can while laying on your back, lol.
It's bad. Why don't they just put in fat instead of leaving some gland tissue? Now I have slight puffy nipple again

hammer

It's bad. Why don't they just put in fat instead of leaving some gland tissue? Now I have slight puffy nipple again

You do know that it's normal for you to have some breast tissue  (gland), after all you are born with it. 

Offline Nikita

• Posting Member

You do know that it's normal for you to have some breast tissue  (gland), after all you are born with it.
So what can I do if the rest tissue becomes a problem one day? Another surgery?

If they can use fat instead of leaving some tissue why didn't they do it?

hammer

You do know that it's normal for you to have some breast tissue  (gland), after all you are born with it.
So what can I do if the rest tissue becomes a problem one day? Another surgery?

If they can use fat instead of leaving some tissue why didn't they do it?

I'm not the doctor that did the surgery nor am I a doctor at all so I can't answer your questions, I'm just a almost 59 year old grandfather who has been through 8 other surgeries seen things in my life, I pay attention to details, and try my best to understand, so you'll have to ask your doctor if you want to find out that answer!

Offline MammaryMan

• Bronze Member
Men on hormone blockade therapy for prostate cancer often have breast growth so prior to treatment the breasts can be given a low dose of radiation (3 to 4 Gy) to prevent growth. As with any treatment, it doesn't always work. Can this radiation be done post-gynecomastia surgery to prevent growth?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
There are now so many different questions in here that I am sure to leave something unanswered but here goes. 
Having read through all that Bob, AKA Hammer, has said, I agree entirely with him.  All males are born with some breast tissue, it is normal, removal of all of it would be abnormal and cause a depressed area in the chest.  In any case, regrowth seems to be a major concern but the number of men who actually experience regrowth is very small.
Total removal of the glandular material and using a fat graft to fill in the depression is not as easy as it sounds. Most fat grafts do not take, they are simply absorbed leaving a depression. 
Regrowth is rare.  If you have regrowth, there is something going on in your body that needs to be corrected before you should be thinking of another surgery.  The best course of action at that point would be to see an Endocrinologist, not a surgeon. 
Multiple surgeries in the same location.  What happens? Each time a few more nerve endings are severed, Each time a little more circulation is lost and each time there is more scar tissue.  With multiple surgeries, the ability to heal in that place is compromised. 
If more people had reasonable expectations regarding the outcome of their surgery, there would be far fewer complaints and far fewer revision surgeries.  Many people go into surgery thinking they will emerge perfectly symmetrical and with their self image instantly changed. that is totally unrealistic and those people become cosmetic surgery junkies. 
Time.  I could scream when a person posts pictures of them-self prior to surgery and three days post operative.  Some really look great and that is what everyone expects. The truth is that we all heal differently and it could be months before you see the true final result.  Don't be impatient.
I am not a Doctor.  I was an Air Force Medic, But that was 1955 - 1963, Long before most of you were born and 30 years before liposuction became common. I know a little, but only a little.  If you want reliable medical information, ask a Doctor.
Grandpa Dan

hammer

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Regarding fat grafting, there is no way to predict how much of the fat will remain after taking it from one part of the body and injecting it into another.  It can be used in revision surgery if cratering does occur, but it makes more sense to leave a little breast tissue beneath the nipple/areola for support.  That tissue seldom causes puffiness; if it does, a minor revision to shave away the excess gland is easy, usually done under local anesthesia.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Cristalis

• Silver Member
What about the procedure that Dr Bermant have used? He stated that he removes all the gland and then he does fat flaps(not fat grafts) so that no crater deformity occur. He also targeted the gland first and then he made the liposuction if needed. Why no other doctor use his technique?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024