Author Topic: Hello! I got a question.  (Read 4080 times)

Offline RyanMace

• Gold Member
Hello.

Well, when u've removed the breast tissue, along with some fat - how well does the skin actually adapt? Because, there gotta be some empty room left after the procedure is complete? Like when a fat person lsoes weight, the individual sometimes get lose-skin.

Thanks alot.

Offline RyanMace

• Gold Member
Bump :)

While I'm at it; how do u determine whether soem of it is muscles? I mean, I work out alot, and if I tense the muscles around my pec-area, just a little bit of it are soft tissue. But, if I'm relaxed, I can take a whole grip of my pec, if u know what I mean.

Regards.

Offline manic91m9

• Gold Member
your right there is empty space after surgery, this is why most surgeons insist you wear a compression garment for 2-6 weeks so this empty space doesn't fill with fluid (as much at least) this gives your skin a better chance of joining onto the muscle and bone. as for working out what is muscle or fat, for me i think that i  can feel the separation, this is probably coz i lost a few kilos and theres a little bit of slack. i guess ill know once the surgerys done.

Offline RyanMace

• Gold Member
your right there is empty space after surgery, this is why most surgeons insist you wear a compression garment for 2-6 weeks so this empty space doesn't fill with fluid (as much at least) this gives your skin a better chance of joining onto the muscle and bone. as for working out what is muscle or fat, for me i think that i  can feel the separation, this is probably coz i lost a few kilos and theres a little bit of slack. i guess ill know once the surgerys done.

Thanks mate for the reply. So that's what the west is used for? Some guy told me that the surgeons usually fill the empty space with something, but I guess he was just guessing when he stated that.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
For most gyne patients, once the breast tissue (gland) and fat is removed, the skin will tighten up by itself -- much of it literally within minutes on the operating table!  Just think of letting air out of a balloon -- the balloon just shrinks.

The skin's ability to tighten gradually diminishes over time (ie 20 year old skin has more innate elasticity than 45 year old skin).  It is also diminished if you are (or have been) overweight or have very large breasts.  And finally, if you have severely sun damaged skin, it too will have lost some of its elasticity.

Surgeons rely on the skin's natural ability to tighten by itself in order to do the surgery with minimal scarring.

When confronted with patients with extremely large breasts or with diminished elasticity due to the above situations, then the surgery has to be modified somehow -- and this is an individual discussion with your surgeon.

After surgery,I recommend a tight compression garment (provided to my patients) for a minimum of 3-4 weeks after surgery.  This helps keep down swelling and post-operative oozing, diminishes the recovery time and speeds healing.  Since the areas treated with surgery (under the skin) look like a sponge (with lots of interconnections), the purpose of the compression garment is to keep the "sponge" compressed so that no blood or fluid collect in the open spaces, thereby promoting healing.

Dr. Jacobs 
www.gynecomastiasurgery.com
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
815 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10021
(212) 570 6080
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline RyanMace

• Gold Member
For most gyne patients, once the breast tissue (gland) and fat is removed, the skin will tighten up by itself -- much of it literally within minutes on the operating table!  Just think of letting air out of a balloon -- the balloon just shrinks.

The skin's ability to tighten gradually diminishes over time (ie 20 year old skin has more innate elasticity than 45 year old skin).  It is also diminished if you are (or have been) overweight or have very large breasts.  And finally, if you have severely sun damaged skin, it too will have lost some of its elasticity.

Surgeons rely on the skin's natural ability to tighten by itself in order to do the surgery with minimal scarring.

When confronted with patients with extremely large breasts or with diminished elasticity due to the above situations, then the surgery has to be modified somehow -- and this is an individual discussion with your surgeon.

After surgery,I recommend a tight compression garment (provided to my patients) for a minimum of 3-4 weeks after surgery.  This helps keep down swelling and post-operative oozing, diminishes the recovery time and speeds healing.  Since the areas treated with surgery (under the skin) look like a sponge (with lots of interconnections), the purpose of the compression garment is to keep the "sponge" compressed so that no blood or fluid collect in the open spaces, thereby promoting healing.

Dr. Jacobs 
www.gynecomastiasurgery.com
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
815 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10021
(212) 570 6080

Thanks alot for your reply Dr. Elliot Jacobs, I appreciate it alot. When you mean sunburnt, do you talk abotu tanning, or really sunburnt? Like, when you need medical help for it. That's the only question I got left.

Thanks alot, yet again.

Kind regards.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
When I refer to sun damaged skin, I am thinking of people who have spent a lot of cumulative time in the sun and whose skin looks (and feels) like leather. These are the people who are darkly tanned in mid-winter, for example.

One bad sunburn, even though it is not great for your skin, will not do the damage I am talking about.

Dr Jacobs

Offline RyanMace

• Gold Member
When I refer to sun damaged skin, I am thinking of people who have spent a lot of cumulative time in the sun and whose skin looks (and feels) like leather. These are the people who are darkly tanned in mid-winter, for example.

One bad sunburn, even though it is not great for your skin, will not do the damage I am talking about.

Dr Jacobs

Thanks for the clarification =)

Kind regards.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024