Author Topic: Puffy nipples look the same?  (Read 3556 times)

Offline AREM

• Posting Member
I had Gynecomastia surgery approximately 20 days ago, I know it's still early but my chest is looking exactly the same as it did before. I had about 7-8g excised from either side of my chest in hopes to reduce the puffy nipples, and so far they are still big and puffy. They just feel more 'empty' inside...  I wasn't given a compression shirt or anything to wear and was told that I need to wear underarmour for 4 weeks and then I was free to be free..

I had always assumed tissue/gland caused nipples to puff out, however now with the excision and it still looking the same what could be causing it? There was plenty of 'noticeable' swelling initially however, that has all completely disappeared. As for the surgery itself, there was no lipo done, just excision and I was told my case was hardly severe at all, and was just a matter of getting rid of the puffy nips. Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated...

Thanks

DrBermant

I had Gynecomastia surgery approximately 20 days ago, I know it's still early but my chest is looking exactly the same as it did before. I had about 7-8g excised from either side of my chest in hopes to reduce the puffy nipples, and so far they are still big and puffy. They just feel more 'empty' inside...  I wasn't given a compression shirt or anything to wear and was told that I need to wear underarmour for 4 weeks and then I was free to be free..

I had always assumed tissue/gland caused nipples to puff out, however now with the excision and it still looking the same what could be causing it? There was plenty of 'noticeable' swelling initially however, that has all completely disappeared. As for the surgery itself, there was no lipo done, just excision and I was told my case was hardly severe at all, and was just a matter of getting rid of the puffy nips. Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated...

Thanks

I see many patients with residual contour problems after gynecomastia surgery done elsewhere. So many that I coined a phrase "Puffy Nipple Complication" that you can search for on this forum. Check out this post:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=21332.msg144631;topicseen#msg144631

Which was the introduction to resources I built to explain this problem that I have seen.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Specializing in Gynecomastia and Surgical Sculpture of the Male Chest
(804) 748-7737

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Surgery for puffy nipples alone may seem easy, minor or trivial.  It is not!  It is challenging, even to an experienced gyne surgeon. Some surgeons approach this problem with a cavalier attitude, believing that simple excision of the excess tissue beneath the areola will suffice -- not true!

Oftentimes, the surgeon will simply excise the "excess" gland directly under the areola.  This is usually not sufficient.  The surrounding skin must be loosened and re-distributed as well to allow the areolar skin to settle down.  In your case, this was probably not done and this may explain the reason for your concern.

That is why I strongly recommend researching your surgeon very carefully.

For the meantime, try wearing some type of compression garment -- it cannot hurt and might possibly help.  Give yourself some time to heal without making premature judgments.  Speak to your surgeon periodically.  If the problem persists for 4-6 months, then you may want to consider a revision procedure.  At that time, do your research very carefully to find an appropriate surgeon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024