Author Topic: 4 days post-op, Now breasts filling out with fluid. HELP!  (Read 3535 times)

Offline atlas21

• Posting Member
Hi All

I had the op on Wednesday and the Dr went in pretty deep on both sides due to large amount of gland. 

Anyway, I'm wearing my tight vest night and day, massaging and applying thrombocid cream to increase circulation, blood flow and reduce brusing BUT my breast cavitities (ie where they were behind the nipple) are now filling up with fluid which makes them look like breasts again instead of a flat chest.

I'm not due to see my Dr for post op follow up for another 7 days.  SO my question is :-

How do I disperse this fluid?  More massage or does it need to be drained or will it disperse itself in the healing process?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
You can let it disperse by itself, or, ask your PS to drain it...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline atlas21

• Posting Member
Hi

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate that.  One last question -   I'm thinking if I ask to have it drained too quickly before the healing process is complete, it may refill. 

Then again, I was also thinking that as it heals, this fluid may get trapped and not disperse naturally?

So in your opinion, how long would you allow for the fluid to drain out itself?

Many thanks again Grandpa for your help and advice.

Cheers

Atlas21

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I was also thinking that as it heals, this fluid may get trapped and not disperse naturally?

I highly doubt that the fluid would 'not' disperse.

So in your opinion, how long would you allow for the fluid to drain out itself?

I can only draw upon my own experience... I had a bit of fluid on my LHS, which dissipated within a few weeks...

Many thanks again Grandpa for your help and advice.

My pleasure dude!  ;)

GB

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Some post op fluid collection can occur and the question as to whether to drain it or not should be addressed to your surgeon.  Usually, if it is a small amount, it will just absorb by itself over time.  If it is a large amount, then it will interfere and prolong the healing process and should probably be drained.  Only your surgeon can determine this and I would recommend you see him sooner rather than later.  Also, if he does decide to drain the fluid, it has been my experience that the process may have to be repeated a few times -- but ultimately things will heal and the fluid will be gone.

The skin is always numb where the drainage is done -- so don't be afraid of doing it -- it is virtually painless.

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline atlas21

• Posting Member
Hi Dr Elliott

Thanks very much for your advice, I am 8 days post op now and the fluid build up has stopped but is not dispersing.  Am seeing my Surgeon on Monday for the post op follow up appointment and will ask him about drainage then.

Thanks again for your help.

Atlas21

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024